Topic: Crimea’s Fate
- Crimean Tatar Minority to Boycott Secession Vote
- Tensions Rise in Ukraine's Crimea as Russians, Tatars Clash
- Russia, Crimea Sign Historic Reunification Treaty
- Ukraine to Lay Claim for Soviet Heritage
MOSCOW, March 18 (RIA Novosti) – Ukraine’s breakaway region of Crimea will ask Tatars to vacate part of the land where they now live in exchange for new territory elsewhere in the region, a top Crimean government official said Tuesday.
Crimean Deputy Prime Minister Rustam Temirgaliyev said in an interview with RIA Novosti on Tuesday the new government in Crimea, where residents voted Sunday to become part of Russia, wants to regularize the land unofficially taken over by Crimean Tatar squatters following the collapse of the Soviet Union.
“We have asked the Crimean Tatars to vacate part of their land, which is required for social needs,” Temirgaliyev said. “But we are ready to allocate and legalize many other plots of land to ensure a normal life for the Crimean Tatars,” he said.
Temirgaliyev emphasized that members of the Tatar community could receive senior political positions in the new government, in an apparent move to ease ethnic tensions in the region.
“I think that Crimean Tatars will be well represented in the government and parliament,” he said.
The Crimean Tatars, a historic people of the region, were deported en masse to Central Asia by Soviet leader Joseph Stalin 70 years ago. Although many of them returned in the early 1990s, they were unable to reclaim the land they had possessed before their deportation.
Many Crimean Tatars have taken over unclaimed land as squatters by building houses, farms and mosques. Ukrainian authorities have in the past failed to settle the land disputes.
The Tatars, who make up 15 percent of Crimea’s population, remain amongst the staunchest supporters of the new government in Kiev that ousted President Viktor Yanukovych last month.
Crimea, a largely Russian-speaking autonomous republic within Ukraine, was part of Russia until it was gifted to Ukraine by Soviet leaders in 1954.
Putin signed a decree Monday recognizing Crimea as an independent state, following a referendum Sunday that saw voters on the peninsula overwhelmingly support secession and reunification with Russia.
Nearly 30 percent of Crimean Tatars voted in favor of reunification with Russia at Sunday’s referendum, Temirgaliyev said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecThe West will try to politicize this07:14, 19/03/2014All citizens of Crimea should have equal rights and responsibilities. If Russians or Jews or other minorities cannot claim the land of their choosing for free, neither should the Tatars.
In the U.S. or in Canada, or in any of the EU countries, claiming land by squatting is not acceptable. These governments all support Israel's attempts to "regulate" Palestinian land ownership in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, even though Israel does not offer a replacement land. It is interesting to see what their reaction will be.
To the Tatars, I will say this: "Please remember that the time of Batu Khan and Subutai is over. You are to be treated like everybody else. If you don't like it, try to move to Ukraine and see if the Neo-Nazis, whom you support and prefer, will let you claim land by squatting there."
- sdamazoKiev20:18, 19/03/2014I've read many times that people from Kiev are neo-Nazis or use similar methods to control. So far, the entire world knows without any doubt that it is not true, even though it is possible that there is a few out there (as there is any other society worldwide nowadays). Now, for the way and bahaviour Russian and pseudo-Russians are using in Crimea and surroundings, what do you call it? The Russian way of shagging people, lying, invading, manipulating, and now killing that has nothing to do with the Nazis methods? These are the real Nazis practice. Let's discuss the labor camp in Russia and the need to control freedom. Do you think the Russian government does indeed want to protect you? It is another stupid lie and they need you to spread it. Good luck in your fantasy land...this is only the beginning.
- email@example.comTatars13:47, 19/03/2014They were with Nazis, and should consider themselves lucky to be alive.
No special treatment for them only because they are muslims.
If they do not like it, they should go to Turkey and squat.
- PR101Spin it as you wish16:01, 19/03/2014but the Tarters didn't seem to have a problem there under the Ukrainian government. Now the problem exists.
- bielecIf they didn't have a problem...16:51, 19/03/2014...under the Ukrainian government, then why did they side with those who overthrew that government?
- agnesmariaIf they had no problem...19:25, 19/03/2014...then how do you interpret this quote from the above article?
"Ukrainian authorities have in the past failed to settle the land disputes."
- Mikhail1228Squatters in squalor or housing?21:14, 20/03/2014Because the Ukrainian government just let them live there as homeless squatters. Russia wants to relocate them to actual housing. Ukrainian government didn't give a shit. Russian government does!
- Bugbear(no title)19:41, 21/03/2014Russia is surrounded by enemies would be smart to not create more within it's own borders. People don't forget being robbed of wealth and they certainly don't forgive.