Topic: Crimea’s Fate
US President Barack Obama© Photo: White House / Pete Souza
Russian President Vladimir Putin© RIA Novosti. Alexei Druzhinin
More than 95 percent of Crimean voters backed joining Russia and seceding from Ukraine© RIA Novosti. Alexei Nichukin
More than 95 percent of Crimean voters backed joining Russia and seceding from Ukraine© RIA Novosti. Mikhail Voskresensky
- Over 95 Percent of Crimean Voters Back Joining Russia - First Referendum Results
- Crimea Referendum Without Major Problems – Observers
- Putin Tells UN Chief That Crimea Referendum Legal
- Obama Warns Russia Against Crimea Incursion
MOSCOW, March 17 (RIA Novosti) - Russian President Vladimir Putin told his US counterpart Barack Obama that the referendum in Crimea complied with the international law and the UN Charter, the Kremlin press service said Monday.
With some 50 percent of the ballots counted, the referendum results showed than 95 percent of Crimeans backed joining Russia and seceding from Ukraine.
Putin told Obama on the phone that "the peninsula's population was guaranteed free expression of will and self-determination," the Kremlin press service said.
The two leaders agreed to continue seeking ways to resolve the Ukrainian crisis despite the existing contradictions, the press service said.
The political crisis in Ukraine erupted in November following a step back by President Viktor Yanukovych from closer ties with Europe. Months-long protests in the country's capital Kiev that repeatedly turned deadly eventually led to his ouster by a vote of parliament February 22.
Crimea, along with several other regions in Ukraine, has refused to recognize as legitimate the new leadership in the country.
Obama’s press secretary, Jay Carney, said on Sunday that the White House would not recognize the results of the referendum in Crimea describing Russia's actions as “dangerous and destabilizing”.
Other Western leaders have also denounced the referendum as illegitimate and unconstitutional.
"We don’t recognise Crimea referendum or outcome. We call on Russia to enter dialogue with Ukraine and resolve crisis within international law," British Prime Minister David Cameron said in a Twitter post.
President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz said that the referendum violated the Ukrainian and international laws and would complicate further efforts to resolve the crisis.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- DeanWestern Hypocrisy10:40, 17/03/2014It is rather disconcerting that the West have been acting like fascists for the past two decades. Invasions, destruction of nationalist groups on a massive scale, sowing subversion, supporting dictators when it suited them, supporting Governments who have blatantly flouted international law when it suited them, sanctioning murder, torture and assassinations, routing democracy when it suited them; the list goes on and on!
Not only are there dubious examples of double standards being applied to foreign policy decisions emanating from the West; but to add insult to injury the West’s schoolyard bully mentality has now reached ludicrous proportions, given the West’s self-righteous attitude towards the situation in the Crimea !
How can the West which supported Kosovo’s rights to ‘self-determination’ deny the Crimean people theirs? I support the right to self-determination; especially when a minority group would suffer oppression were they not to separate from the oppressor state.
The West’s reckless attitude towards inciting violence in other countries in order to induce regime change cannot continue without some dire consequences. The West are acting like fascists and we all know where that ends….
God help us all! It’s time for the USA to stop for a moment and look at the distance they have plunged into the abyss! You used to be the ‘good guys’! Look at what you have become…
Oppressive Tyrants with a propaganda machine that Goebbels could only have dreamt of; who control what people think, say and pray…
- stpetersburg Northern Ireland and Crimea14:49, 17/03/2014The USA and EU say the Referendum is not valid but I think it is .
However if the Russian President was to have a similiar system of power sharing in Crimea with Ukrainians and Tatars two languages as is the
case in Northern Ireland Crimea would still be Russian but Russia could go down that route if the American s could guarantee new elections in Ukraine and dual citzenship to anyone in the EU of Russian descent
- Mikhail1228There is no constitution!18:13, 17/03/2014UK’s George Galloway- The coup thugs ripped up the constitution and the West has unleashed Frankenstein’s monster!
- R.Deus-von HomeyerRE:ARTICLE I OF UN CHARTER20:52, 17/03/2014DID PUTIN READ THE UN CHARER AT ALL?
He is of the opinion,that the referendum on KRUIM is lEGAL as it complies with ART.I,but ART.I speaks of "SELFDETERMINATION OF THE NATIONS".
Are the KRUIMLYANI a NATION?
PUTIN should analyse and iterpret the laws.He studied law,but I know,that during the Communist Era WE studied JUST black letter laws.We did NOT learn HOW to apply the laws on a CONCRET case.
PUTIN should ask himself:"WHO IS A NATION?"
The definition of a nation he could find by reading STATE&Constitutional law or check in the BARRON's Law Dictionary.
A nation is the population of an entity,which has COMMON ancestry;common language;COMMON heritage;common ethnic customs;COMMON background a. s.o.
NOT all KRUIMLYANI have the SAME ancestry;the same heritage;the same language:the same customs.
Theefore the KRUIMLYANI are NOT a nation,Mr.PUTIN!
FACIT:Art.I of the UN CHARTER does NOT apply for the KRUIMLYANI as they are NOT a nation or a STATEHOOD.
- Mikhail1228What constitution?21:27, 17/03/2014The Western news media is all lies, misinformation, half truths and fabrications. The West says the Crimean referendum is illegal because of the constitution. There is no constitution as when armed neo nazi thugs took over the government by force this action was unconstitutional! Then you have Victoria Nuland overheard on a taped phone call orchestrating this violent regime change with her cronies in Washington. Furthermore 5 billion US dollars was spent paying for this violent carnage. The UK's MP George Galloway said that the coup plotters in the US and EU gave the protesters $50 dollars a day to promulgate violence against police, government officials and government buildings in Kiev. If anything is illegal its the meddling and interference of the US and EU in a sovereign countries internal affairs! As the UK's MP George Galloway said, the EU has unleashed Frankenstein's monster in Kiev by going to bed with the neo nazi's to overthrow a legitimately elected President and government!
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.