Topic: Turbulence in Ukraine
- Ukraine Says It Paid for January Gas Supplies From Russia
- US Authorizes Sanctions Against Officials ‘Destabilizing’ Ukraine
- Ukraine Boycott of Russian Paralympics Hangs in Balance – IPC
- Ukraine PM Says Crimea Breakaway Referendum is 'Illegitimate'
- EU to Freeze Assets of Ousted Ukrainian President and Allies
MOSCOW, March 6 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s Foreign Ministry harshly criticized Washington on Thursday over a lack of an “adequate perception” of events in Ukraine.
The statement came as a response to a “fact sheet” issued by the US State Department that employed unusually pointed language to mock Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent public remarks on Ukraine.
The fact sheet, headlined “President Putin’s Fiction: 10 False Claims About Ukraine,” calls Putin’s remarks the most “startling Russian fiction” since famous novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote that “the formula ‘two plus two equals five’ is not without its attractions.”
Commenting on the fact sheet, Russian ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said: “It’s evident that Washington officials are still unable to adequately perceive the events that fail to develop under their scenario.”
“They are unable to overcome their emotions and deal with the fact that they cannot dictate their will, anywhere and at any time, [that they cannot] take up their favorite role as a global judge who always has the last word,” he said.
“The US does not and will never have the moral authority to teach others about international norms and respect to other countries’ sovereignty. What about the [1999 NATO] bombings of former Yugoslavia and the  invasion of Iraq on false pretenses?” the spokesman continued.
“Under the guise of protecting its citizens, who found themselves in a zone of a conflict, the US invaded Lebanon in 1958, the Dominican Republic in 1986, attacked tiny Grenada in 1983, bombed Libya in 1986 and occupied Panama three years later. At the same time, they dare to accuse Russia of ‘military aggression’ when it tries to protect its compatriots who make up the majority of the Crimean population,” Lukashevich said.
The parliament of Crimea, a largely Russian-speaking region of Ukraine, said Thursday that it intended to secede and request annexation by Russia. A popular vote on the issue is to be held in the region on March 16.
Thousands of troops apparently lacking official insignia but carrying weapons and wearing uniforms used by Russian soldiers have taken control over Ukrainian military bases across Crimea in the past week. Putin has insisted that the masked soldiers are “local militia.”
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228Sweep it under the rug, CNN, Fox abd CNBC!23:26, 06/03/2014Some of the key elements of the revolution in Ukraine are being swept under the rug, including the racist and nationalist tendencies of some central players.
“Aspects of the so-called revolution in Ukraine, such as the Svoboda party, are openly racist and have celebrated the formation of a former SS division operating in Ukraine. What is worrying is that there is so little mention of this in the Western media, which is biased in its reporting of Ukraine,” explained Hallinan.
“One of the things I find interesting is that if you do a search in American newspapers for Right Sector and Svoboda you'll find very few references and no history. Last year, the Svoboda party celebrated the formation of the Galician division of the Waffen SS, which was the section of the Nazi army that was directly commanded by the Nazi party. The Waffen SS were particularly efficient at killing people, particularly Jews. Jews were killed in WWII in Ukraine. There is no mention of that at all.”
Without this information, all Americans are seeing is pro-democracy European modernists in the West against dictatorial Russians in the East. “That's the way most Americans look at the story, they don't see anything else. And I don't see at this point that the American media is going to give much of a counter-narrative to see. American media is controlled by very few companies and people view the world as what they see on Fox TV and read in the daily newspapers and it's a one-note orchestra.”
- R.Deus-von HomeyerRE:THE REPORTS OF CNN,FOX and CNBC...22:24, 07/03/2014When I was living in Dalls,Texas,I listened sometimes to FOX and found out,that FOX is the MOST ULTRA-nationalist(I would say even FASHIST) TV broadcaster.No wonder,that Texans are such a foreigners hater.
CNN is JUST the extended arm of the USA Government.It is owned now by TIME WARNER Brods.(in private hand),but their correspondents say WHAT the US Government wants them to say.
You talk about US newspapers,Mikhael.The only one worth reading is "The Wall Street Journal"...
Most Americans(40% are from Latin America and barely can read English) DO NOT GIVE A DAMN WHAT HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF USA.
- WestKazakperennial adolescents23:41, 06/03/2014The US has shown their level of maturity and intelligence. Liars and spoiled brats all.
- severnayazemlyaWho were the Maidan square sharpshooters?22:58, 07/03/2014Who were the Maidan square sharpshooters?
Were they Berkut, or Blackwater/Greystone mercenaries? And working for who?