Topic: Turbulence in Ukraine
- New Unrest Rocks Ukraine Capital, Deaths Reported
- EU Envoys Meet Ukrainian President as Violence Rocks Capital
- Obama Threatens ‘Consequences’ if Ukraine Violence Continues
- Ukrainian Security Service Launches 'Anti-Terrorism Operation'
- Russia, EU Clash as World Condemns Violence in Ukraine
KIEV, February 20 (RIA Novosti) – Ukraine’s Interior Minister confirmed Thursday he had signed a decree to issue service firearms to police officers and authorized the use of live ammunition.
The statement came in the wake of numerous reports from Kiev of both anti-government protesters and police officers being shot dead in ongoing clashes, in which at least 50 people have reportedly been killed.
Until this week, Ukrainian riot police had been using non-lethal weapons, such as tear gas, water cannons and rubber bullets, against protesters in street demonstrations that have been taking place around Ukraine since November.
“Law enforcement officers have received service firearms and will use them in accordance with Ukraine’s law on police,” Vitaly Zakharchenko said in a statement posted on the ministry’s website.
“The Interior Ministry demands that extremists hand over their weapons and return to peaceful protests. Those opposition leaders and activists who are capable of soberly evaluating the situation should dissociate themselves from the radicals and refrain from supporting them in future,” the statement reads.
At least 10 police officers have been killed in the clashes, the authorities said Thursday. Most of the officers killed reportedly also bore gunshot wounds.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecIt is always a hard decision to make...21:33, 20/02/2014..as it may backfire on the politicians in the future. But, with the kind of violence and destruction that we had seen in Kiev over the last several weeks, and especially in recent days, it is the responsibility of the government to restore law and order and safety in the streets. Ukraine is not going to wait until the situation deteriorates as it did in Syria, in which case many more people would die in the chaos of a "civil war" carried out by foreign mercenaries, terrorists, and local Neo-Nazi criminals.
- Mikhail1228Who is to blame21:37, 20/02/2014McCain, Nuland and EU ministers stood in Kiev calling for the protestors to fight against Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych. We stand behind you they said. The protestors now feel emboldened like former Georgian president Shaakashvili did when he attacked South Ossetia. Nuland was overheard on her cell phone orchestrating who the new leaders of Ukraine should be. Can you imagine how America would have reacted if one of Russian State Duma deputies or Alexei Pushkov, the chairman of the State Duma Committee on Foreign Affairs, visited the US during the Occupy Movement protests a couple of years ago and encouraged the protestors to overthrow the American government. Why is the US and the EU meddling in another nation with a democratically elected government? Why is the US and EU trying to facilitate the overthrow of this government? Place the blame for this violence squarely where it belongs, with the US and the EU!
Image Galleries: The Pearl of Russia's Far East
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize
Vladimir Putin Meets with Members of the Valdai International Discussion Club. Transcript of the Final Plenary Session
Vladimir Putin took part in the final plenary session of the Valdai International Discussion Club’s 11th meeting. The plenary session summed up the club’s work over the previous three days, which concentrated on analysing the factors eroding the current system of institutions and norms of international law.