* UKRAINE * PROTESTS * LENIN * STATUE * VANDALISM *
- As Ukraine Opposition Rallies Intensify, Lenin Statue Falls
- Police Repel Protesters From Ukraine Government HQ
- Ukrainian Security Services Open Coup Attempt Investigation
- Ukrainian Protesters Gather in Kiev for ‘March of Millions’
- Ukraine Opposition Fears Provocation to Justify Crackdown
KIEV, December 9 (RIA Novosti) – Protestors in Ukraine have vandalized another statue of Vladimir Lenin, hours after a monument to the Communist revolutionary was toppled in the capital Kiev.
Police in the southern town of Kotovsk said that an unidentified group cut off the upper part of a concrete monument to the founder of the Soviet Union late on Sunday, leaving fragments scattered on the ground. Detectives have begun an investigation.
The incident occurred shortly after protestors tore down a statue of Lenin in central Kiev as hundreds of thousands of people attended an opposition rally to demand the resignation of President Viktor Yanukovych for his rejection of an Association Agreement creating closer links between Ukraine and the European Union.
Police said that a criminal investigation for “vandalism” and “mass unrest” had been launched.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Verkhovna Rada Elections in Ukraine: Darth Vader and Friends
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize
Experts of the Valdai International Discussion Club focus on whether the global community will develop ground rules for the world politics or whether it is a game without any rules where everyone fend for themselves.