Vladimir Putin and Paul McCartney during their meeting in May 2003 (archive)© RIA Novosti. Sergei Guneev
- Greenpeace Group Moved to St.Petersburg Jails
- The Netherlands Hopes for Diplomatic Solution to Arctic Sunrise Case
- Greenpeace Protests in Moscow As Arctic Sunrise Tribunal Opens
- All 30 Greenpeace Ship Activists Now Charged With Hooliganism
MOSCOW, November 14 (RIA Novosti) – Veteran British musician Paul McCartney has appealed to Russian President Vladimir Putin to release Greenpeace activists jailed after mounting an abortive protest against oil drilling in the Arctic Sea.
Beatles founder McCartney asked Putin to reunite the 28 activists and the two journalists accompanying them with their families in a letter posted Thursday to his official website.
“Vladimir, millions of people in dozens of countries would be hugely grateful if you were to intervene to bring about an end to this affair,” McCartney wrote in the letter, dated October 14.
The Greenpeace group was moved this week to three separate detention facilities in St. Petersburg after spending almost two months in jail in the Arctic port city of Murmansk.
They were detained in September after attempting to scale the oil platform of an affiliate of Russia’s state-controlled energy giant Gazprom.
All 30 were originally accused of piracy, but investigators later downgraded the charge to hooliganism, a charge punishable by up to seven years in prison.
McCartney, who is an outspoken animal rights activist, said that the protest was peaceful and not motivated by anti-Russian sentiment.
He referenced the 1968 Beatles hit “Back in the USSR” in his plea for Putin’s clemency toward the Greenpeace activists.
“’Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it’s good to be back home,’” McCartney wrote. “Could you make that come true for the Greenpeace prisoners?”
McCartney said in his website post on Thursday that he has yet to receive a reply from the Russian leader.
Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told RIA Novosti that the Kremlin has not received the letter.
A court has ordered the Greenpeace group to remain in custody pending a hearing on November 24.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- gauag10(no title)15:01, 14/11/2013Paul, How about you ask your Govt. to stop invading countries in the name of terroism, how about you ask your govt. to be puppet and stop snooping on other countries.
And Paul, you are not role model, you yourself had terrible past, you were busted in Japan for carrying drugs. Dont try to be role model.
- mythoslightNot a word...15:12, 14/11/2013...from "Sir Pothead" when his regime goes on and on occupying and slaughtering Arabs in the ME. Ok. they are very Semitic but not Jews and therefore not victim-worthy i guess. Nuff said about that.
The question that should be asked, after a decade of western funded colour revolutions etc, is:
Why does the west send their NGO´s to the Arctic and why now?
The saker has a good answer to that:
- R.Deus-von HomeyerRE:DOES THE WEST SEND NGO's to the Arctic?22:21, 14/11/2013Lieber Mythoslight,
NOBODY sent the Greenpeace revolutioneers to the Arctic...they sent themselves!
And you are wrong...there were PLENTY of protests against the invasion in Iraq &Afghanistan,but the UK Government did not pay attention to the WILL of the people!
Recently,when the Anericans wanted to bobm Syria,the British Parlament decided against an invasion in the country.
- tec123Shameless man...19:54, 14/11/2013The hypocrisy and deceitfulness of some people now Sir Paul McCartney wants the Green peace activist release and none other than the President of the Russian Federation he turns to.
It’s ok for Mr. Putin to interfere with the course of justice in this particular case but was not acceptable in the Pussy Riot case in Western eyes.
- R.Deus-von HomeyerRE:THE RUSSIAN JUSTICE SYSTEM IS INDEPENDANT FROM EXECUTIVE22:26, 14/11/2013PUTIN does NOT run the Russian Courts...that is what he states in his Government web site.
PUTIN belongs to the EXECUTIVE branch of the Government,NOT to the JUDICIARY!
PUTIN can not and should NOT influence the Judicial System!
The Greenpeace activists should be punished for the criminal acts,which they commited...TRESPASSING according to my humble opinion.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.