- Syria’s Assad Pledges to Destroy Chemical Weapons
- Putin Slams West Over Vague Plans for Syria Without Assad
- Russia Ready to Help Eliminate Syria’s Chemical Arsenal
- US Prepared to Strike Syria if UN Deal Falls Short – Official
- Russia to Submit Its Syria Chemical Attack Findings to UN
STOCKHOLM, September 21 (RIA Novosti) – Russia is in theory prepared to change its stance on Syria if it finds out that Syrian President Bashar Assad is “cheating,” the Kremlin chief of staff said Saturday.
“I am talking theoretically and hypothetically here, but if we see any certainty that Assad is cheating, we could change our position,” said Sergei Ivanov, head of Russia’s presidential administration, speaking at the International Institute for Strategic Studies’ Global Strategic Review conference in Stockholm.
Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad’s government since fighting broke out in Syria in March 2011 between government forces and rebels. It has vociferously opposed the military intervention advocated by the US in the wake of a recent sarin gas attack on civilians near Damascus, and has repeatedly suggested that responsibility for the attack in late August lies with the armed rebels. The US and other Western countries say all evidence suggests that the government was to blame for the attack.
Ivanov described another hypothetical situation: one in which it emerges that both the Syrian government and the opposition have used chemical weapons.
“I can imagine what the global community will do then,” Ivanov said, adding that in the event of such a scenario, Russia would take “only diplomatic action – what else can we do?”
The Kremlin chief of staff warned that the Syrian opposition would entirely lose interest in any future negotiations in the event of external military intervention.
“It will count on the US – like in Libya – bombing the regime until it’s wiped out, and in doing so paving the way of the militants to easy victory,” Ivanov said.
He reiterated that it was the US’s responsibility to get the Syrian opposition to attend talks with the Syrian government that the US and Russia have been trying to organize for several months.
“The assertion that cruise missile strikes will help move along the peace process is not only unrealistic, it’s irresponsible,” Ivanov added.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecRussia to change its stance, if Assad is "cheating"?16:16, 21/09/2013Just a reminder that there are two major sides in this conflict: Assad's government and the U.S. government. The rebels are just patsies.
Mr. Ivanov, you cannot just look at one side and wonder, if Assad is cheating, while it is already well known that the Americans are cheating and lying, supporting criminal rebels, terrorists, and foreign mercenaries, have a history of lies and false flag operations all used to start illegal wars of conquest in the oil rich regions of the world. The proper question is, "What if both, Assad and Obama, are "cheating"? The US had been targeting Syria since September 2000, long before the so called "civil war" in Syria started.
Here is another question:
Americans have dropped nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, although it was not necessary - the war with Japan has already been won. When faced with criticism, Americans argued that the bombing ended military confrontations and saved some lives of soldiers serving in American and allied forces. Hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, deliberately targeted and executed, lost their lives in the process.
Using the same logic, one may argue that, even if Assad was responsible for the chemical attack and the collateral damage, this has ended the battle and saved some lives of the Syrian soldiers.
The same standards should apply.
- moistRussia IS a staunchsupporter of...19:38, 21/09/2013..Syria and international law and knows that Syria is not "cheating". The only reason for Syria to do so is obviously to have a defence against the Zionist abomination and it´s hundreds of nukes and indeed, chem weapons. BUT, Russia has offered to defend Syria in case of a USraeli aggression and are already doing it splendidly, thank you, so really, RIA Novosti, why are you making a headline out of this?
- zapeepa(no title)02:37, 22/09/2013It is stupid declaration at this particular stage,why only syria and Assad. How about Israel used of chemical and having stock pile of nuks head, using depleted Uranium in recent raid on syria. How about USA selling chemical to Saudi in the same time bandar bush the prince of terrorist giving the chemo to Alnusra.
- arsanlupinThis much porcine manure would fertilize most of Syria.22:32, 22/09/2013Three perfect examples of blind hatred and vicious anger blinding you of anything remotely resembling facts, truth, or honesty. You’re very good at it – you’ve obviously been doing it a long time.
The assertion that it’s Assad against the USA and not against the rebels is arrant nonsense. Even the Russian government knows this, but then again they don’t have to deal with such bilious ignorance and hateful bigotry. The American government never ‘targeted’ Syria in the past, it prefers not to now.
The atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were utterly necessary to end the war. Even emperor Hirohito said as much, citing the casualty estimates of an invasion as high as 4 million allied and 20 million Japanese. You disagree? Go argue with him – he was there! Also, the bombing of the cities was inevitable when Japanese industry was moved into the homes and yards of every citizen – making them all legitimate targets. To think otherwise would be to completely ignore the facts – a common problem with you all.
Russia knows damn well Assad is “cheating”. They’re stalling for time by demanding more and more proof, in the hopes of getting ALL the chemical weapons out of the country before NATO strikes. Russia has categorically ruled out any military intervention by Russian forces – no matter what. Israel has no part in this; they just don’t want it spilling into their territory. Saying otherwise shows you to be about as thoughtful and reasonable as the likes of Taliban and Al Shabbab – all of them scum of the earth who should be disemboweled by their own women and left to die – their mouths stuffed with bacon.
Israel never used chemical weapons, and Saudi Arabia is known to reject all WMD. Depleted uranium isn’t a WMD – it’s used (by almost all militaries) only because of its armor-piercing ability.
Iran has been a central Russian ally in the Middle East, despite considerable tensions between the two. But by renewing dialogue with the West, the new Iranian leadership has chosen another direction. The shifting terrain in the region creates new strategic, political and economic challenges for Russia.