- Assad Overthrow in Syria Risky for US – Ex-CIA Official
- UN: 'Convincing Evidence' of Syria Chemical Attack
- UN Chief Receives Report on Alleged Chemical Attack in Syria
- Russian TV Host Invites McCain to Speak on Syria
- US-Russia Deal Has 'Ability' to Strip Syria of Chemical Weapons − Kerry
- Damascus Hails US-Russia Deal on Syria Chemical Weapons
- ‘Regime Change’ in Syria Not Off the Table – Russian MP
WASHINGTON, September 16 (RIA Novosti) – The White House said Monday that it had authorized the delivery of supplies and equipment to the Syrian opposition to assist them in defending against chemical weapons as the United States and Russia work on a plan to secure the chemical stockpile of Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government.
US President Barack Obama on Monday waived restrictions under the US Arms Export Control Act allowing the deliveries to “select vetted members of the Syrian opposition,” aid that includes equipment to protect against chemical weapons and training to defend against their deployment, White House National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement.
The aid authorized by Obama also includes similar nonlethal equipment and assistance to international organizations and health care providers operating in Syria, Hayden said.
“This action is part of longstanding and ongoing efforts to provide life-saving chemical weapons-related assistance to people in need in Syria,” she said.
The White House said last week that it would continue to provide both nonlethal and military aid to the Syrian opposition seeking to oust Assad, even as Washington and Moscow team up to carry out a Russian plan to place Assad’s chemical stockpile under international control for eventual destruction.
Washington has accused Assad’s government of carrying out an Aug. 21 chemical weapons attack that it claims left more than 1,400 dead. Russia, meanwhile, has said that while chemical weapons were deployed in the attack, it is unclear whether government or rebel forces are responsible.
Russian officials have criticized US assistance to the Syrian opposition, saying the aid is emboldening extremist Islamic factions within the rebel forces. The Obama administration, however, says it is filtering out dangerous elements and supporting moderate voices within the opposition.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Panthera Pardusis it a kind of Psychological Warfare the image of Obomber..10:38, 17/09/2013.. with a background who make him look like an angel with a large aureola ? This photo is not so extreme but believe me I have seen a couple on International Herald Tribune where Obummer had the "right size" aureola around his head - to date of this post http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=aureola+Obama&qpvt=aureola+Obama&FORM=IGRE does not bring the one I am referring to but there are a couple more angelic, such as http://www.toutestdanslacom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Obama-Auréole.jpg
Image Galleries: Siberian Air Base Gets New Su-30SM Fighter Jets
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.