Originally published at 10:19
MOSCOW, August 27 (RIA Novosti) – Russia slammed the United States on Tuesday for allegedly using “unproven excuses” to justify military action in Syria and said Moscow is “seriously disappointed” by Washington’s decision to put off a bilateral meeting to discuss the crisis there.
US Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday there was "undeniable" evidence of a chemical weapons attack on the outskirts of Damascus last week, and condemned the use of such weapons by President Bashar Assad's government as a “moral obscenity.”
Kerry’s statement “categorically claims that the US has the ‘undeniable proof’ about the use of chemical weapons by the Syrian regime, although the ‘data’ has not been presented,” Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said.
International medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Syrian opposition claimed more than 350 people died after the attack near last Wednesday near Damascus. The Assad government has denied using chemical agents, and showed on state TV what it claimed was evidence of rebel groups using such weapons.
The United Nations Security Council has not so far authorized any military intervention in the Syrian crisis. Moscow, along with Beijing, has previously vetoed three UN Security Council resolutions condemning Assad's government.
“Attempts to bypass the Security Council, to once again create artificial, unproven excuses for an armed intervention in the region are fraught with new suffering in Syria and catastrophic consequences for other countries in the Middle East and Northern Africa,” Lukashevich said in the statement posted on the Foreign Ministry's website.
US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Sunday President Barack Obama had told him to "prepare options for all contingencies" in deciding whether to use military force against Assad's government, the Associated Press reported.
Moscow also said it was “seriously disappointed” with the White House’s decision to put off a meeting between Russian and US diplomats scheduled for Wednesday in The Hague to discuss the situation in Syria.
“Moscow perceives Washington’s decision to postpone this meeting literally on the eve of the agreed-upon date with serious disappointment,” Lukashevich said in a statement posted on the ministry’s website.
A senior Russian diplomat said earlier Tuesday that Moscow regretted what he called the cancellation of the meeting. “[Our] partners’ decision to cancel the Russia-US bilateral meeting to discuss the matter of assembling an international conference on Syria causes regret,” Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said in a tweet.
Russia has been Syria's most important ally during the civil war that the UN says has claimed at least 100,000 lives since March 2011. Moscow has delivered some weapons to Damascus that it said were supplied under previously agreed deals.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- BlizzardWhat's the truth?12:40, 27/08/2013It is counterproductive to rush ahead and made false accusations, and that's what is happening right now with Syria. All of the would be attackers should cool down and wait for investigation to finish as it is well known that two wrongs do not make one right.
It is known that the used gas killed hundreds of innocent people and that someone needs to be punished for such crime. But the justice wont be served if the attackers remind unpunished and another innocent suffered instead. Does really this international community needs to be led by hotheads who desire kills just because they do not like a person regardless of the doubts of his innocence?
All of us agree that death sentence once carried out it cannot be undone and executors of unjust death become murders themselves, only there will be no new court, jury and executioner who would sentence them. These people do not have conscience and they sleep well or maybe even better more innocent deaths are on their soul. Unfortunately there is no God and therefore there is no one to either stop them or to punish them, that's why they are so heartless.
Fact is that Syria has chemical weapons and that army has access to it, but do not forget that many of rebels were in army not long ago and escaped with all sorts of weapons ranging from small sidearms to heavy weapons such as artillery. That means that it was not difficult to steal dozens of canisters containing military gas.
The fact is that rebels are in worsening position and they are those who need to convince western warmongers to come to their side. In such case they are the only one who should profit from using gas and put the blame on government as western warmongers in France, UK and US only wait for such opportunity to settle their accounts with Assad.
It is now question of what this commission will achieve? Will they only issue statement saying: "Yes we can confirm that poisonous gas has been used, but we can tell who used it." That is not really worth anything as it does not point to culprit, it lives doors widely opened to speculations and twisting the truth just to meet your excuses?
It is already criminal act when UK PM David Cameron and French president said that they will attack regardless of results. This kind of talk is suitable for terrorists or Mafia mob and in no circumstances to leaders of EU countries. Do they know that this kind of act is criminal and they should face Hague court same as Milosevic, Radic, Seselj, Taylor and other international warmongers.
Justice will be served only after the real culprit has been find and punished. The policy that these warmongers are applying now is based on belief that enemy of my enemy is my friend. That is wrong as it can be and it proved so often to be wrong and costly. Just see Afghanistan - USA - USSR - Mujahedin, and all will be clear.
- kg5682Sadly inevitable.17:36, 27/08/2013Unfortunately, since this conflict has nothing to do with discontent in Syria, and everything to do with getting a natural gas pipeline laid through Syria that Assad opposes, the conflict will proceed. I know Russia learned a valuable lesson from the USSR's misadventures in Afghanistan and is therefore unlikely to get directly involved. However, the arrogant criminals who control our government here in the USA have not learned that lesson yet. I fear they are about to be schooled. The Russian people should be aware that most US citizens despise our leaders at least as much as the rest of the world does.
- tec123Poor Russia yet again it pays...19:20, 27/08/2013Dear don't waste your time here anymore about Russia and Syria we all knew and Russia knew that all they can do is talk and cannot protect their interest aboard.
- LocoIvanTake another toke, yank!22:23, 27/08/2013'The Russian people should be aware that most US citizens despise our leaders at least as much as the rest of the world does.'
As absurd as it is, the statement above is great entertainment!
- Veselko3Just imagine...18:10, 27/08/2013Imagine Russia threatening Israël with an attack ! Do you really believe the US telling Russia " The United Nations Security Council has not so far authorized any military intervention in the Israelian crisis"?
Instead you'll get the whole US Congres behind the defence of their beloved ally.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has surged ahead on the foreign policy stage, but this is not enough to remain a great power. The tough-minded policies and masterful diplomacy of Russia’s leadership have maximized the country’s position in the world, and are now the main source of its international influence and prestige. Russia’s foreign policy in the next decade depends entirely on what happens at home.