Topic: Iran's nuclear program
- Iran to Sign New Nuclear Power Plant Deal with Russia – Minister
- Iran to Get Uranium from Zimbabwe – Paper
- Iran’s New President Says Country Committed to Nuclear Talks
- New Sanctions Will ‘Suffocate’ Iran – Russian Diplomat
- Six Nations Committed to Extensive Talks with Iran – Russia
MOSCOW, August 18 (RIA Novosti) – The Islamic Republic of Iran has a total of 18,000 centrifuges for uranium enrichment, including 10,000 ones which are already active, the ISNA news agency has reported citing the country's outgoing nuclear chief.
"At the beginning of the month of Mordad (from July 23) we had 17,000 first generation centrifuges, of which more than 10,000 are active and 7,000 ready to start work," said Fereydoun Abbasi-Davani,outgoing head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
Some 1,000 second generation centrifuges have also been installed and are ready to start work, he said.
The UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reported in May that Iran had installed 17,600 centrifuges, including 16,590 first generation and 1,000 second generation.
Western countries suspect Iran of using its nuclear program to develop atomic weapons capability, a claim Iran has consistently denied. Tehran claims it needs atomic technology for producing electricity, although it has some of the world's largest reserves of oil and gas.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mikaelforsbergGood that Iran modernize her technology13:52, 18/08/2013It is very good that Iran develops own high technology in all areas and of course they need nuclear power plants for electricity. Oil and gas resources wont last forever and is needed for export income.
Iran must progress and continue on the path as a leading country in the region.
- nukemifugotemIran has a long way to catch up with other countries22:32, 18/08/2013Germany, UK, France, USA, Russia, China and Netherlands produce much more enriched Uranium than Iran. Even Japan, Pakistan and Brazil produces more than Iran. I guess this article is to show Israel she has nothing to worry about. So stop telling USA what to do.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.