US President Barack Obama addresses a news conference at the White House in Washington, August 9, 2013© REUTERS/ Jason Reed
- ‘Star Trek’ Actor Calls for Sochi Olympics Move
- Sochi 2014: Russia Doesn't Infringe on Gay Rights - Kozak
- US Senator Suggests Possible Sochi Olympics Boycott
- US Rights Group Urges IOC Action on Gay ‘Discrimination’ Ahead of Sochi
- US Senator Condemns Russia’s Gay Laws as Calls for Boycott Grow
- Congressmen Ask Kerry to Ensure Gays Safe at Sochi
- Russian Gays in US Call for Boycott of Sochi Games
WASHINGTON, August 9 (RIA Novosti) – US President Barack Obama said Friday he was "offended" by a new Russian law on homosexuality but rejected calls from critics for a boycott of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, early next year.
"I do not think it is appropriate to boycott the Olympics," Obama said at a White House news conference, saying such a move would only punish athletes who have worked hard to make it to the Olympic competition.
Obama added however that "nobody's more offended than me by some of the anti-gay and lesbian legislation that you've been seeing in Russia."
Russian officials have stressed that the new Russian law, signed by President Vladimir Putin in June, was designed to protect minors from "propaganda" about "non-traditional sexual orientations." Critics have said the law is too vaguely worded and is tantamount to discrimination against homosexuals, something Russian officials deny.
Obama said he hopes that US gay or lesbian athletes would win medals at the Sochi games.
"If Russia doesn't have any gay or lesbian athletes then it will probably make their team weaker," Obama said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- moistRussia FM: US Needs to Act Like Grown-Ups...08:45, 10/08/2013..(Sergei Lavrov)i do hope that they boycott the Olympics, it will make them look not even more redicolous but also expose their interfering in Russian domestic issues and private affairs from their NGO´s and "The Soros family" I.E "P*ssy riot" and "Femen" to the sexuals (many of whom are foreign professional provocateurs and also part of the "Soros family") and their "right" to spread depraved propaganda to minors and flashing genitals and simulate sex and worse in front of children in sexual shame parades.
The west´s obsession with promiscuous and depraved life styles and trying to impose them on healthy foreign societies will backfire more than the "colour revolutions" ever did. An overwhelming majority of Russians (and eastern Europeans) are against it, despite years of internet indoctrinations. Back off Obombah, Russia is not a US colony...
- Mikhail1228A sick society!23:59, 13/08/2013Who in their right minds wants their little children exposed to this gay shit? Why do they have to hear about it and why does it need to be promoted to them? I have to laud President Putin for having the balls to stand up against this and for standing up for traditional families, children and Christianity. Too bad our leaders in the US are too spineless to do the same. Increasingly, religious Russians look on America, with our Hollywood values and celebrations of homosexuality, as a sick society, a focus of cultural and moral evil in the world.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has surged ahead on the foreign policy stage, but this is not enough to remain a great power. The tough-minded policies and masterful diplomacy of Russia’s leadership have maximized the country’s position in the world, and are now the main source of its international influence and prestige. Russia’s foreign policy in the next decade depends entirely on what happens at home.