- Iraq Denies US Pressure Over Russia Arms Deal
- Iraq Denies Cancellation of $4.2 Bln Arms Deal with Russia
- Iraqi PM Floats Defense-tech Deal with Russia
- Iraq: $4.2 Bln Russian Arms Deal ‘Canceled’
DUBAI, May 21 (RIA Novosti) - Iraq's Central Criminal Court has resumed an investigation into officials suspected of corruption in a $4.2 billion deal to purchase Russian weapons, the head of the Iraqi Parliament's Integrity Committee, Bahaa al-Araji, said on Tuesday.
"The investigation will go ahead. The witnesses and suspects will give evidence, and Defense Ministry experts will evaluate the possible damage," he said.
“The deal remains in force, but is not being implemented yet,” he added.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki signed an arms package purchase agreement with Russia worth $4.2 billion during a visit to Moscow in October 2012.
Under the deal, Moscow was to supply 30 Mil Mi-28NE night/all-weather capable attack helicopters, and 50 Pantsyr-S1 gun-missile short-range air defense systems.
The deal was suspended a few weeks later over of suspicions of corruption. The Iraqi Parliament initiated an investigation into several officials suspected of taking kickbacks.
However, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said in March 2013 that Iraq and Russia had initialed a revised deal and deliveries under the contract would start by the summer.
The corruption investigation was closed shortly after.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Earlier this month, Russia hosted the Fourth International Meeting of the Arctic Council at Naryan-Mar, a seaport in the Barents Sea, to discuss issues relating to the infrastructure and safety of ships passing through the Northern Sea Route (NSR).