Topic: Top stories of the day
A roundup of what has happened in the past 24 hours
* Two Italian police officers were wounded after a gunman opened fire outside the prime minister’s office in Rome as the new government of Enrico Letta was being sworn in at the nearby president’s palace, RAI state television reported
* Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will pay an official visit to Russia on April 28-30 on an invitation from Russian President Vladimir Putin. This will be the first visit by a Japanese premier to Russia over the last 10 years
* The older suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings vaguely discussed “jihad,” a Muslim holy war against infidels, with his mother in a 2011 phone conversation secretly recorded by Russian officials, CBS News reported
* The head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, will hold a divine liturgy in downtown Moscow’s Christ the Savior Cathedral on Palm Sunday, which Russian Orthodox Christians celebrate this year on April 28, the patriarch's press service reported
* Russian Prosecutor General Yury Chaika said on Sunday the recent inspections of Russian non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are aimed at establishing their compliance with the law, not at liquidating them
* Russian children's rights ombudsman, Pavel Astakhov, said on Sunday he will help a Russian couple, Alex and Anna Nikolayev of Sacramento, California, to return their baby boy, who has been seized by authorities in the United States
* Russia’s opposition activist Alexei Gaskarov has been detained by police in Moscow for his alleged role in the May 6 riots on Bolotnaya Square in the Russian capital, Russia’s Investigative Committee said
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.