Topic: Powerful Earthquake in Japan
- The deadliest earthquakes in Japan’s history
- Aftermath of earthquakes in Japan
- Recent series of quakes in Japan
- Earthquake in Japan: 12 Months Later
- Japanese quake victims find refuge in a sports hall
- Rescue efforts continue on Japan's east coast
- Japanese cities devastated by tsunami
- Relief efforts in Japan
- International aid teams rush to tsunami-torn Japan
- Japanese disaster: day two
- Japan 24 hours after the disaster: empty shelves, destruction and suspense
- Japanese quake survivors speak out
- Aftermath of Japan’s strongest recorded quake
- Tsunami Hits Japan after Massive Quake
- Japan struck by magnitude-8.8 earthquake
TOKYO, March 11 (RIA Novosti) - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe addressed his country on the two-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake and tsunami, saying there is still help needed to eliminate the consequences of the natural calamity.
“People in the disaster-stricken regions still need help. The help can be different, including volunteerism, financial charity, tourism or acquisition of goods, produced in these regions. There will be no real spring in Japan until spring comes to devastated regions,” the premier said via YouTube.
Two years ago Japan was hit by a massive 9.0-magnitude quake which caused a tsunami, claiming over 15,000 lives and triggering a number of explosions at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant.
The tsunami caused a partial meltdown at three of the nuclear plant’s reactors. Radiation leaked into the atmosphere, soil and seawater, becoming the world's worst nuclear disaster after Chernobyl.
According to scientists, Japan will need at least 40 years to recover fully from the nuclear catastrophe.
Some 315,000 people are still living in a temporary housing unable to return to their houses.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: Sledge Hockey
The unconstitutional takeover in Ukraine was the toughest, consistent and so far most effective Western counterattack launched amid the ongoing struggle for a fairer world order. Only the naïve believe that the United States and Europe will willingly share their right to rule the world, though their belief is worthy of respect.