- Russia Denies Rumors of Planned Talks with Syrian Opposition
- Syria Asks UN Security Council to Condemn Israeli Airstrikes
- Russia Slams Clinton’s “Bias” Over Moscow’s Syria Position
- Russia Concerned by Reports of Israeli Air Strike on Syria
- Bodies Of “Executed Men” Discovered In Syria
MUNICH, February 2 (RIA Novosti) - A UN Security Council resolution is necessary to end the 22-month-long civil conflict in Syria, the UN and Arab League special representative for Syria said on Saturday.
Speaking at the night owl session of the Munich Security Conference on Saturday, Lakhdar Brahimi said that Syrians and regional powers seem to be unable to change the situation in the country on their own and "all that is left is the wider international community, and the wider international community is the Security Council."
"We need a clear decision from the Security Council to set the agenda for a peaceful solution of the problem," he said.
Brahimi said that he met with ambassadors of all five permanent Security Council members in the past days to inform them about the necessity of an urgent Security Council decision on the issue.
Russia has faced strong international criticism over its refusal to back UN sanctions against Syria, its last ally in the Arab world, over what it calls the pro-rebel bias of some resolutions proposed by Western nations.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.