Topic: Iran's nuclear program
Chief Spokesman for the High Representative Catherine Ashton, Michael Mann© REUTERS/ Sergei Karpukhin
- Differences Over Venue Delay Iran Plus Six Meeting - Lavrov
- Lavrov Warns Against Strikes on Iran’s Nuclear Sites
- Iran to Continue Uranium Enrichment - Nuclear Chief
- Iran Refuels Nuclear Plant
BRUSSELS, January 30 (RIA Novosti) – The European External Action Service (EEAS) has invited Iran to hold a new round of talks on its controversial nuclear program in February, Chief Spokesman for the High Representative Catherine Ashton, Michael Mann, said on Wednesday.
The EEAS, which brokers contacts with Iran on behalf of the “sextet” of international mediators, hoped to see the next round of six-party talks on Iran take place on January 28-29 in Istanbul, but Iran did not agree to the proposal.
“We have proposed a new date in February and we are waiting for a response from the Iranians,” Mann said.
Iran and the group of countries comprising Britain, China, France, Russia, the United States and Germany, known as P5+1, have held three rounds of talks over the Iranian nuclear issue last year, following a one-year break in the negotiations.
These talks, however, did not result in a breakthrough, as the sides cannot agree on the true nature of Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
The United States, Israel and some of their allies accuse Iran of pursuing military objectives in its nuclear energy program.
Iran rejects these allegations, arguing that as a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and as a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency, it is entitled to develop and acquire nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
Russia has repeatedly expressed concern over the slow pace of the nuclear talks with Iran, and stressed the need for the new meeting to be held as soon as possible.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.