Topic: Protests in Syria
- Syrian Rebels Claim Capture of Key Military Airbase
- Three-Party Syria Meeting Ends with No Solution
- Syrian Opposition Rejects Assad’s Peace Plan
- UN Envoy Brahimi Says Has Syria Peace Plan
- Syrian Conflict Claims over 60,000 Lives - UN
NEW YORK, January 13 (RIA Novosti) - UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Saturday urged international action on Syria, comparing the ongoing civil conflict in the country to Holocaust, the UN News Centre reported.
Speaking at a Holocaust memorial event at the Park East Synagogue in New York, the UN chief referred to the principle of the responsibility to protect, which puts the obligation on every state to protect the population from genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes or ethnic cleansing. The principle was adopted by the UN General Assembly in 2005.
“Neither anti-Semitism nor Islamophobia nor other such forms of bias have a place in the 21st century world we are trying to build,” he said. “In the face of these crimes and violations there is a corresponding duty of the international community to act.”
“The responsibility to protect applies everywhere and all the time,” Ban went on. “It has been implemented with success in a number of places, including in Libya and Côte d'Ivoire. But today it faces a great test in Syria.”
According to UN estimates, over 60,000 people have been killed in Syria since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began in early 2011. Recent months have witnessed an escalation in the conflict, which is now in its 23rd month.
“There will be no amnesties for those most responsible. The old era of impunity is ending. In its place, slowly but surely, we are building a new age of accountability,” he said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecBan Ki-moon...04:45, 13/01/2013... did not urge "international action" in 2006 and 2008-2009, when Israel slaughtered Lebanese and Palestinian civilians, including children, women, and elderly.
He did not call for "international action" when over one million Iraqis had died as a result of a war based on a pack of lies. No, that was not a Holocaust, that was not a genocide, that was a "war on terrorism".
His "international action" in Libya turned out to be an aggressive and criminal military undertaking that killed civilians, destroyed the country's infrastructure, and deliberately murdered its leader.
Now, he wants to bomb Syria and remove Syria's legitimate government, instead of clearly stating that Western support for foreign mercenaries, terrorists, death squads, and criminals destabilizing Syria must immediately end. This would stop the conflict, wouldn't it?
"Responsibility to protect" principle, which was adopted in 2005, does not serve everyone equally, does it? Why?
Such a selective approach disqualifies Ban Ki-moon as a politician. No integrity = no credibility. He is just another puppet appointed to advance imperial and zionist agendas of his masters. He is just doing his job.
- dykalgholocaust / civil war(s)11:37, 13/01/2013The American civil war was more of a "holocaust"
J. David Hacker, a demographic historian from Binghamton University in New York, has recalculated the death toll and increased it by more than 20 percent — to 750,000.
- cheruskLibya, Cote d'Ivoire ... Mali12:53, 13/01/2013The human misery of this dwarf with black dyed hair is gigantic. The Evil Empire is spreading war everywhere and wrecking all nations. The warmongering West is transforming the world into a slaughterhouse.
- vusi(no title)19:12, 13/01/2013Ban kin moon has blood on his hands, he helped France slaughter the people in Ivory coast then impose a stooge as president, he is a criminal.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.