Topic: Protests in Syria
- Russian Weapons Supply To Syria Fulfills Old Contract - Lavrov
- Russia’s Lavrov Speaks against UN Resolution on Syria
- Russia Ready to Discuss UN Peacekeeping Mission to Syria - Deputy FM
- Syrian Tanks Enter Golan Heights Buffer Zone
CAIRO, November 5 (RIA Novosti) - The United States and Russia have never held secret discussions about possible regime change in Syria, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in Cairo on Monday.
“We never hold secret discussions with anyone over the fate of a third-party country, and there was no secret discussion with the US or with anyone else about [Syrian President] Bashar al-Assad,” Lavrov said.
The comments arrive amid Lavrov’s visit to Cairo, where Russia’s top diplomat met with Arab League head Nabil Elaraby and joint UN-Arab League mediator on Syria Lakhdar Brahimi as part of another round of talks aimed at solving the ongoing Syrian civil war.
The Assad regime has been locked into a bloody conflict with anti-government rebel forces since March 2011. According to UN estimates, around 35,000 people have been killed since the violence began.
Russia and the West, particularly the United States, have traded accusations over their respective roles in the conflict.
The United States has called for Assad’s ouster and has criticized Russia for allegedly enabling Assad’s violent crackdown by supplying arms to Damascus.
Russia, meanwhile, has slammed the United States’ tacit support of the anti-Assad opposition, claiming it is interfering in the domestic affairs of a foreign state.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardesThe USA and the militarism without an Army.17:40, 05/11/2012The American military machinery is more like an adornment, a decoration without any policy, no philosophy, no primary objectives. From 2001 until 2012 the USA spent 1.4 Trillion dollars with the military of the United States itself that currently has troops in 140 countries when drones and mercenaries are taking the place of the American army. The US militarism is without an army that works. That is why the American Army may downgrade in the coming years.
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.