Topic: Situation in Afghanistan
MOSCOW, October 14 (RIA Novosti)
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack on a convoy of senior officials in central Parwan province that killed eight guards.
The Afghan news agency Pajhwok quoted second Vice President Karim Khalili’s press secretary as saying that he had been among the senior officials in the convoy, and that he had been wounded in the leg during the attack.
In a statement posted on the Taliban’s Voice of Jihad website, the militants claimed they attacked the convoy with heavy weapons and small arms at 9:30 a.m. local time on Sunday in the Tangi Lali area, killing eight guards, injuring others, and damaging the vehicles.
Local officials however said that the vice-president was not in the convoy at the time of the attack.
The local police traded fire with the militants, in a shootout lasting about 30 minutes, after which the convoy continued on to Kabul, local officials said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.