MOSCOW, October 12 (RIA Novosti)
- Chinese Writer Mo Yan Wins 2012 Nobel Prize in Literature
- US 'Smart Receptor' Scientists Win Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- US, French Scientists Win Nobel Physics Prize
- Japanese, British Scientists Awarded Nobel Medicine Prize
The 2012 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded on Friday to the European Union for the advancement of “peace, democracy and human rights in Europe.”
"The stabilizing part played by the European Union has helped to transform a once-torn Europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace," Nobel Committee president Thorbjoern Jagland said in Oslo.
"Over a seventy-year period, Germany and France had fought three wars. Today war between Germany and France is unthinkable. This shows how, through well-aimed efforts and by building up mutual confidence, historical enemies can become close partners," he said.
Commenting on the award, President of the EU Commission Jose Manuel Barroso tweeted "It is a great honour for the whole of the EU, all 500 million citizens."
Russian human rights activists, however, expressed surprise at the decision. Lev Ponomaryov, leader of the For Human Rights initiative said "the prize should be given to people who often put their lives at risk in the actual struggle for peace, not to agencies.”
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecIncomplete list...15:53, 12/10/2012... and for the advancement of peace in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and Syria.
Nobel Peace Prizes have long become a political tool for the advancement of NATO's political agendas.
It's time to completely disregard this institution and its infamous peace prizes.
- gunshipdemocracyEU wins EU prizes how sweet !16:03, 12/10/2012mission statement of EU now is: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
- moistNext genocidal maniac to become laureate...18:58, 12/10/2012...well it wouldn´t surprise, would it? Next in line should of course be NATO and Foggy Rassmussen! Tony Bliar of course and while we are at it, posthumously Adolph Hitler and the Irgun/Stern gang
- firstname.lastname@example.orgFourth Reich22:56, 12/10/2012The Norway quislings reward the Fourth Reich
Image Galleries: Russia's Top-10 Military Weapons
Infographics: One Day Without Gasoline