TOKYO, October 9 (RIA Novosti)
South Korean prosecutors have pressed charges against a North Korean national tasked with injuring the eldest son of late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, reports said on Tuesday.
A prosecution service official confirmed a report by South Korea’s Yonhap news agency that said the unidentified man had arrived in South Korea in March pretending to be a refugee who had escaped from the North through China.
Prosecution sources cited by Yonhap said the alleged spy said he had spent a decade as an undercover agent in China.
But the official refused to comment on reports that the man had admitted being ordered to stage a hit-and-run car accident in China in 2010 to main Kim's eldest son, Kim Jong-Nam, and also to attempt to bring him back to the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.
Kim Jong-Nam has lived in self-exile in the Chinese territory of Macua since 2011, when he angered his father by trying to secretly enter Japan with a fake passport and visit Disneyland.
He told a Japanese newspaper last year that he was against the dynastic handover of power to his younger brother, Kim Jong-un, after their father’s death in December 2011.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: One Day Without Gasoline