Topic: Protests in Syria
ANKARA, October 4 (RIA Novosti)
- Turkey Calls for Syria Buffer Zone
- Turkish Army Holds Drills on Syria Border
- Turkey Supplies Syrian Rebels With Air Defense Missiles - TV
- Turkey Closes All Borders with Syria
- Turkish Authorities Disprove Plane Shot Down by Syria
The Turkish government sought authorization from parliament to conduct, if necessary, more cross-border operations against Syria hours after Ankara fired artillery at targets inside Syria, local media reported on Thursday.
“The ongoing crisis in Syria threatens regional stability and our national security,” the Cabinet said in a statement to parliament, calling Syrian actions “aggressive and directed against Turkey.”
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) has convened a special session of parliament after a mortar round fired from Syria on Wednesday killed five people and injured nine others in the southeastern Turkish border city of Akcakale.
According to the Turkish daily Hurriyet, the Turkish army carried out a total of 50 artillery strikes on 16 targets inside Syria late on Wednesday.
Turkish media reported that the army believes the deadly mortar shell was fired by the regular Syrian army.
"Several" Syrian army personnel died in the retaliatory strikes, Reuters reported later, citing the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights (OSDH).
Turkish armed forces in the area remain on high alert, Hurriyet said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecSame rules should apply12:59, 04/10/2012Turkey had, in the past, conducted cross border strikes against KPP in northern Iraq. The excuse was that KPP used bases in Iraq from which they allegedly conducted cross-border strikes against Turkey.
Now, Turkey harbors training camps from which terrirists, foreign mercenaries, and other criminals conduct cross border strikes against Syria. Illegal arms and other equipment are smuggled through Turkish territory to support terrorists operating in Syria.
Consequently, Turkey should understand and accept Syria's military operations against these terrorists seeking refuge and support in Turkey.
Of course, this can only be expected, if Turkey plays a fair game. This does not seem to be the case. Turkey is simply trying to provoke Syria's response that could then be used by NATO as pretext to attack this sovereign country.
Given the level of tension and the threat to international peace created by Turkey's military operations against Syria, Russia should consider both diplomatic and military steps to stop this dangerous policy. It would be in Russia's best interest to do so.
- lmDoes Putin and Russia really believes the West, EU and NATO cares about Russia?13:25, 04/10/2012But Russia is afraid to act military because of sanctions and do not have the balls to protect anyone, I have been saying so for a long time that Russia will lose out if they do not act now.
Russia has to be seen as not just a talker but actor with the political will and determination.
It is clear to see that the EU, West and NATO are all working to bring down Russia and Putin, with their many originations latest is the world university ranking list.
Moscow has to watch the oppositions, NGO’s, Caucasus, and Vladivostok Region with the mass importation of right hand drives vehicles defining the central authorities even saying they are rebellious the Russian opposition are only interested in one thing mass disobedience causing social unrest inside Russia.
- Nico III(no title)14:05, 04/10/2012So, Turkey expects to be allowed to fund, train and arm militants to cause mayhem in Syria, without any repercussions? And to "render ineffective" hundreds of Kurds within Iraq whilst demanding that its own sovereignty be respected?
Only a state with its NATO membership badge to hide behind would act in such a way.
I'm also suspicious of such incidents purportedly conducted by Syrian Government forces but which only serve to benefit its enemies..
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Some people are trying to make the reality in Russia at least a bit more humane. The amnesty should apply not only to persons involved in high-profile cases, but also to individuals who are not as well-known. It is better to set free at least some of the individuals who deserve to be released than no one at all.