Topic: Protests in Syria
UN, October 4 (RIA Novosti)
- Blasts Rock Syrian City of Aleppo
- No U.S. Intervention in Syria - State Department
- UN Warns 700,000 Syrian Refugees by Year End
- Syria Calls for Dialog with Opposition
- Several Syrian Military Defectors Rejoin Assad Regime – Media
- UN Chief Says No Military Solution to Syrian Crisis
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the ongoing conflict in Syria endangers the surrounding region after a Syrian attack on Turkey that killed at least five civilians and wounded a dozen more.
On Wednesday, a mortar round fired from Syria on the Turkish town of Akcakale, near the Syrian border, killed several civilians including a child, according to Turkish media reports. Turkish military also responded with an artillery fire.
“Today’s incidents, where firing from Syria struck a Turkish town, again demonstrated how Syria’s conflict is threatening not only the security of the Syrian people but increasingly causing harm to its neighbors,” Ki-moon said in a statement.
The top UN official once again called on all conflicting sides in Syria to stop the violence and start negotiations.
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups. The UN estimates the death toll at over 18,000 people. The Syrian authorities say that 8,000 have been killed.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mrgeniePutin should really stop the killing of women and children.07:46, 04/10/2012I know he expressed many times he will kill all women and children in the EU with a first strike, and thus made clear he has no respect for people, including the Russian people who he robbed already 48 Billion for his private bank accounts and the dozens of murders he committed in Russia as well as the political suppression of any opposition in Russia. But thus far Putin only killed Russian citizens. Now he's also killing woman and children in NATO countries. NATO will be quiet for the moment as it has no interests to get into conflict with the largest reserve of weapons of mass destruction, which Putin said he will use against Europe. But if this is the next step of Mr. Putin, NATO of course has no other possibility as to halt this maniac who by the years seem more and more a clone of Adolf Hitler ruling the Kremlin!
If attempts to drag Russia into a direct military conflict in Ukraine are successful, it would be a catastrophe for Russia comparable to the 1979-1989 Afghan war. There is no direct evidence that the US is trying to bring about a second Afghan war, but indirect evidence abounds.