BEIRUT, September 23 (RIA Novosti)
- UN Chief Says No Military Solution to Syrian Crisis
- Syria War Targets ‘Axis of Resistance’ – Assad
- Russia Urges UN Approval of Syria Communique
- Iran Admits Military Presence in Syria
- UN’s Syria Envoy Arrives in Damascus for Talks with Assad
A conference of Syrian opposition forces has opened in Damascus amid an escalating armed conflict in the Middle Eastern country.
The conference has been convened on the initiative of the National Coordination Committee for Democratic Changes in Syria and is being attended by 15 opposition parties and eight civil society movements.
The ambassadors of Russia, China, Iran and some Arab states that have maintained their diplomatic presence in Syria are also attending the forum.
The conference’s main aim is to secure an “immediate ceasefire” by the conflicting parties and “transfer the armed conflict between the authorities and the opposition into a peaceful political process,” Russian Ambassador to Damascus Azamat Kulmukhametov said in his address to the forum’s participants.
“We are convinced that a dialog without preconditions is the sole way out of the current crisis whose continuation bodes no good either for Syria or for the region as a whole,” he said.
The Arab media have reported the opposition conference will discuss a change of the current Syrian regime, a transition to a civil democratic state and the dangers of the forceful scenario in the country.
The Damascus conference is being held amid disagreements inside the Syrian opposition, with some opposition activists and groups boycotting its work.
The Free Syrian Army, which is fighting against the government forces, has not recognized the conference, saying its participants do not “represent a true opposition and are only another face of the Syrian regime.”
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups. The UN estimates the death toll at over 18,000 people. The Syrian authorities say 8,000 were killed.
The West is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad’s ouster while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria, saying that the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- email@example.comSyria The Truth16:11, 23/09/2012Syria The Truth is addressed to the english or non arabic speaking individuals to show and explore the truth about the Syrian conflict. Away from the lies, manipulated, fabricated and deformed media . In "Syria The Truth" you will read articles or see some video clips that will never be published or reported on major western media companies. Just follow us in the below mentioned links, like our page on Facebook in order to receive all the Truth updates.
Image Galleries: The Pearl of Russia's Far East
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize
Vladimir Putin Meets with Members of the Valdai International Discussion Club. Transcript of the Final Plenary Session
Vladimir Putin took part in the final plenary session of the Valdai International Discussion Club’s 11th meeting. The plenary session summed up the club’s work over the previous three days, which concentrated on analysing the factors eroding the current system of institutions and norms of international law.