KHARTOUM, September 18 (RIA Novosti)
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir has confirmed that his country will not allow U.S. troops, reiterating that Sudan is capable of providing security at American and other foreign diplomatic missions.
Last Friday, about 5,000 rioters attacked the Embassies of Germany, the United States and the U.K. in Khartoum. The attack on the U.S. Embassy was thwarted by police and security personnel, who fired warning shots and tear gas at protesters.
“We are capable of and pledge to provide security of citizens of foreign countries and their embassies and will not accept any foreign troops,” al-Bashir said after a meeting with his Egyptian counterpart Mohamed Morsi.
Following the attacks on Friday, the United States requested a permission to send a group of 50 marines to Sudan, but the Sudanese Foreign Ministry immediately rejected the offer.
Last week’s posting of a U.S.-made short film titled "Innocence of Muslims" on the popular video-sharing service YouTube sparked anti-American protests in Muslim communities around the globe, which by Sunday spread to some 20 countries.
The most violent clashes between protesters and police around U.S. diplomatic missions have occurred so far in Libya, where U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other American diplomats were killed, Yemen, Egypt, Sudan and Tunisia.
Washington has reportedly sent additional Marines detachments to Libya and Yemen to ensure protection of U.S. diplomatic missions there.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.