Topic: Iran's nuclear program
MOSCOW, August 31 (RIA Novosti)
- Ashton, Jalili Fail to Set Date for New Iran Nuclear Talks
- Istanbul to Host Next Iran-Six Nuclear Talks July 3
- Iran Developing Own Nuclear Powered Submarine
- Russia Supports Iran’s Peaceful Nuclear Program - Putin
- Iran Nuclear Power Plant Full Launch Facing Further Delay
Iran's first nuclear power station has begun operating at full capacity, a Russian firm said on Friday.
"The reactor of unit 1 of the Bushehr nuclear power plant was brought up to 100 percent of its projected capacity at 18:47 local time on August 30," Russian contractor Atomstroiexport said in a press release.
Construction of Bushehr began in the 1970s but has been dogged by delays. Russia signed a billion-dollar deal with Tehran to complete the plant in1998.
The plant's launch in August 2010 prompted Israel and other nations to express fears the reactor could help Iran creat an atomic bomb.
Tehran has denied the allegations, saying the facility was for peaceful power generation only.
The plant was connected to Iran's electricity grid in September 2011.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize