MOSCOW, July 12 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia to Oppose UN Sanctions against Syria – Diplomat
- Syrian Opposition Group Calls for Revolution
- Syrian Opposition Urges UN Security Council Action
- Russia Submits Draft Syria Observer Resolution to UN
Moscow objects to a draft resolution on Syria submitted to the UN Security Council by a number of Western nations, since it may lead to the use of force against Damascus, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said on Thursday.
“We have stated repeatedly that Chapter 7 of the UN Charter is unacceptable to us,” he said, referring to a clause enabling the UN to take “urgent military measures” to enforce its decisions.
“Using the resolution to justify the use of force in the future is absolutely unacceptable to us.”
The United States, France, Britain and Germany have drafted a resolution giving the Syrian authorities 10 days to stop using heavy weapons. Failure by Damascus to comply with the resolution will incur diplomatic and economic sanctions, as well as the use of force.
Moscow and Beijing have twice vetoed Security Council resolutions that so much as hinted at sanctions.
Between 13,000 and 17,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of an uprising against President Bashar al-Assad 17 months ago, according to Syrian rights groups quoted by the United Nations.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmRussia it is high time you stop talking and act!21:27, 12/07/2012Russia has to know that the West motto is simple if the UNSC passes it fine if they don’t then we do it our way. This has been the West goal all along to attack Syria and Iran, now Russia has to put money where its mouth is “so to speak” or faces the embarrassment of a weak nation of only talker’s OF relying only on the UNSC TO PROTECT ITS INSTREST.
Russia knows full well this is their last chance to show leadership outside the UNSC because these people only know wars.
Image Galleries: The Pearl of Russia's Far East
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize