FARNBOROUGH (UK), July 9 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia Will Deliver First Mi-25 Gunships to Syria on Time - Arms Official
- Russian Ship ‘Carrying Arms' to Syria 'Turns Back' - Hague
- Russian Shipping Company Denies Arms Deliveries to Syria
- Russia Rejects U.S. Allegations on Arms Deliveries to Syria
Russia will not deliver any new types of weapons or sign any military contracts with Syria until the situation there stabilizes, Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, deputy head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, said on Monday.
“Russia, as well as other countries, is concerned by the situation in Syria,” he said. “We are not talking about new arms supplies to that country.”
“Until the situation stabilizes we will not deliver any new weapons [to Syria].”
He said in particular that Russia will not supply Yak-130 combat training aircraft to Syria until the situation there settles down.
Russia has signed a $550-million contract with Syria for the delivery of 36 Yak-130s.
He said Libya has requested delivery of Russian spare parts for the arms and military equipment supplied previously.
“We are in contact with Libya’s new structures,” he said. “We are currently in consultation.”
The UN estimated in May that some 10,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of a revolt against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a London-based organization with a network of activists in Syria, revised the death toll to 16,500 on Monday. Of those, some 5,000 were government troops and army defectors, the group said. June had been the bloodiest month of the conflict so far, with around 100 deaths every day, it said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- rene20dutsman19:48, 09/07/2012ons again russia is bowing to pressur
i realy think russia has becom a
unreable partner an this will cost
russia darly in the future
- PETEPETEPETE(no title)21:32, 09/07/2012I believe that the Syrians are getting all the necessary tools by "indirect means" and that this is all the Russian government "playing The Game". Hezbollah and Iran are playing their role too.
In this World, in this "New World Order", sometimes you have to lie a little bit in order to oppose evil.
- xama226One has to begin to think about the true nature of Russian Foreign Policy02:49, 11/07/2012There are hundreds of Libyan and Tunisian Djihadits fighting in Syria.
Giving them as Putin declares means transfering these weapons to kill Syrins. No?
- lmRussia needs a more robust foregin policy but is afarid of sanctions.23:26, 11/07/2012Well what is really taking place here?
As I watched Press TV today the news said quote “ A Russian official said Russia will deliver S300 to Syria end quote” if true then we can see a small bit of standing up by Russia.
But still many countries want to see a stronger Russia on the world seen but keep silent for fear of the U.S.
I am wondering if the Kremlin is afraid to show a more robust foreign policy because of fear of sanctions from the U.S. and EU.
Image Galleries: WTA Finals Draw Ceremony
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize
During the 11th Annual Meeting to be held in Sochi from October 22 to 24, experts of the Valdai International Discussion Club will focus on whether the global community will develop ground rules for the world politics or whether it will be a game without any rules where everyone fend for themselves.