KIEV, July 3 (RIA Novosti)
- Ukrainian Opposition Protests Russian Language Bill
- Russian Language Bill Passes First Ukraine Reading
- Scuffle in Ukraine’s Parliament Thwarts Language Bill Consideration
- Tymoshenko Slams Russian-Ukrainian Equal Language Status Proposal
- Tymoshenko Lashes Out at Yanukovych over 'Holy' Language Issue
The Ukrainian parliament on Tuesday approved in the final reading a bill significantly enhancing the status of the Russian language in the country.
The bill was carried by 248 votes with a required minimum of 226.
If the president signs it into law, Russian will acquire the status of a regional language in regions where it is the native tongue for at least 10 percent of the population, or 13 out of Ukraine’s 27 administrative-territorial entities, including the cities of Kiev and Sevastopol.
Under the bill, Ukrainian would actually remain the only state language, but restrictions would be lifted on the use of other languages spoken in the country, including Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian and Hungarian, granting them official regional status.
During his election campaign, President Viktor Yanukovych pledged to make Russian, a native tongue for many Ukrainians, a second state language.
Russian is still used in much of Ukraine, especially in the east, Crimea and the capital Kiev, and there is a strong movement to protect the rights of Russian speakers. The bill allows the parliament, government, and other legislative and executive bodies to publish their decisions in the regional language, and enables TV companies to broadcast in that language.
The authors of the bill maintain that it preserves the status of Ukrainian as the only state language. However, the opposition regards it as a ploy by the ruling party, ahead of parliamentary elections, due in October, to deepen divisions between the country’s Ukrainian and Russian speakers.
Seven lawmakers from the Our Ukraine - People's Self-Defense opposition faction on Tuesday night started a hunger strike in protest against the bill.
“Currently seven members have declared a hunger strike. But I'm sure that other colleagues and ordinary citizens will join it,” Vyacheslav Kirilenko, a deputy of the faction Our Ukraine - People's Self-Defense said. He added that the hunger strike would continue until the Russian language bill is canceled.
“Of course we will bring the case to court. But I can you tell you beforehand that other lawsuits over violations of pension reform were all rejected by the Supreme Administrative Court, which is fully controlled by Yanukovych,” Arseniy Yatseniuk, an Our Ukraine - People's Self-Defense deputy said.
Deputy Speaker Mykola Tomenko, who is also a member of the opposition, said he would file a case with the prosecutor's office.
The opposition has already said that the vote on the bill was invalid because it was neither on the agenda nor considered with amendments in a second reading and therefore should not have been approved at the session on Tuesday.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- SirkoBrainwashed Idiots and Fascists18:58, 03/07/2012I keep telling you to re-open the Gulags and bring back the Oprichnina but you will not listen. Hahahaha! That is the only remedy for treason.
It is all Polish, American and Eurotrash propaganda....Russian, Ukrainian, White Russian are the same damn language you fools simply different regional dialects. Gadzooks even the Balkan Slav languages are very similar.
- gunshipdemocracySirko do not mix Poles with zionist elites in Poland00:55, 05/07/2012Kaczynski is a Jew himself and next president Sikorski was trained by US spec ops and was actively working for AIPAC. Polish population are Slavs and even after 20 years of brainwashing zionist hatery propaganda most of them have warm feelings toward Slavic brothers. I hope some day all Slavs unite without Anglo-saxons and zionists.
- SirkoJulia's Belowing Herd22:04, 03/07/2012"Seven lawmakers from the Our Ukraine - People's Self-Defense opposition faction on Tuesday night started a hunger strike in protest against the bill."
No doubt that is the same faction whose parents and grandparents collaborated with the Nazis killing Russian soldiers. What was the name of the Russian general whom they shot and killed while the Red Army was driving the fascist parasites out of the Ukraine. Proof once again that no good deed goes unpunished. Should have left the idiot traitors in the hands of Nazis who would have repaid them with more gas ovens.
"Our Ukraine-" Boy! They take a great deal for granted. Send them back to Poland.
"Feigned nationalism the last refuge of a scoundrel.".....Dostoyevsky.
Once again! The trade mark of a fascist, if they do not get their way then the vote must have been rigged. Why do they immediately respond with that accusation? The answer is simple. That is exactly what they do at every turn.
Show some 'cojones' as Papa Joe would have done. Help them out with their hunger strike and deprive them of water also.....:-)
- SirkoCorrection...20:01, 04/07/2012Obviously the above should read, "no good deed goes unpunished."
- mobealeYeah22:46, 04/07/2012and send their rations to Moscow!
- gunshipdemocracyno OUN bandits to Poland please ;)00:57, 05/07/2012all fascists from Ukraine and zionists form Poland shall go to pindostan
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918