MOSCOW, July 26 (RIA Novosti)
- Turkey Says Syria's Downing of Jet ‘Serious Threat’ to Peace
- Syria Fires at Another Turkish Jet
- EU Condemns Syria’s Downing of Turkish Jet, Urges Probe
- Wreckage of Downed Turkish Plane Located
- Turkey Calls for NATO Meeting Over Jet Downing by Syria
NATO condemned Syria’s downing of a Turkish military jet, in a statement issued following an emergency meeting in Brussels on Tuesday, but did not invoke Article 5 of its charter which could possibly allow joint armed intervention against Syria.
“We consider this act to be unacceptable and condemn it in the strongest terms. It is another example of the Syrian authorities’ disregard for international norms, peace and security, and human life,” the alliance said.
Syrian shot down the RF-4E Phantom plane flying at low altitude over the Mediterranean Sea on June 22. Damascus said the jet had invaded Syria’s airspace, while Turkish officials insist the aircraft was attacked when it was one mile (1.58 km) inside international airspace.
Turkey called a NATO meeting under Article 4 of NATO’s founding treaty, which states that any member of the alliance can request such consultations if they feel their territorial integrity or security have been threatened.
“We continue to follow the situation closely and with great concern, and will remain seized of developments on the southeastern border of NATO,” the alliance said in its statement. “We stand together with Turkey in the spirit of strong solidarity.”
The alliance did not discuss invoking Article 5 of NATO’s founding treaty, which states that an attack against one NATO member shall be considered an attack against all members and would possibly allow for NATO military retaliation, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told journalists after the meeting.
In a letter sent to the United Nations on Monday, Ankara said the Syrian attack represents a “serious threat” to Turkey’s and regional security.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- kylesvetHey everyone!14:51, 26/06/2012Turkey is at fault! Hey Turkey is at fault and went deep into Syrian airspace... Deep...
- cherusk(no title)15:40, 26/06/2012Erdogan is a treacherous puppet of USrael. Everybody remembers the showdown in Davos with Simon Peres when Erdogan pretended to accuse Israel of murder in the case of Gaza flottille.
Is any leader of nation with Rothschild central bank no more trustworthy ? What should we expect from Russian leaders ?
- PlutardsEuropean Union leading to CIS model.18:03, 26/06/2012Russian Interests - The European Union may be transformed in a sort of CIS, Community of Independent States, analogously to Russia, it may form The "European Federation" in so. A "United States of Europe", as a country, would be too diverse and asynchronous; when the Roman Empire decayed because of its asynchronism, with loss of integration.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.