WARSAW, May 22 (RIA Novosti)
- NATO Regrets Russia’s Stance on European Missile Shield
- Moscow Reiterates Missile Defense Threats
- Rasmussen Announces First Step of European Missile Defense
- NATO to Continue Missile Defense Dialogue with Russia
- Moscow Sends Missile Message to NATO
Poland has warned Moscow against interfering in NATO’s plans concerning the deployment of a missile shield in Europe as Russia is not a member of the military alliance, a high-ranking Polish official said on Tuesday.
On Sunday, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen announced the “first step” in the European missile defense system.
“If this system belongs to NATO, then it cannot be that a state, which is not a NATO member, could influence NATO’s defense system and the development of this system,” said Bogdan Borusewicz, the chairman of the Polish parliament’s upper house.
Borusewicz said, however, that talks with Russia on the missile shield in Europe must be continued to convince Moscow that the system is not threatening its national security.
“I believe that talks should be continued so that the Russian authorities do not think that the system is aimed at the country,” Borusewicz told journalists commenting on the recent Russian statements concerning the missile shield.
Nikolai Makarov, chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, said in early May that Russia does not exclude a preemptive strike against a NATO missile defense system in Europe as a last resort.
The United States and NATO agreed to develop the system at a summit in Lisbon in 2010, but talks between Russia and the alliance have floundered over NATO’s refusal to grant Russia legal guarantees that the system would not be aimed against Russia’s strategic nuclear deterrent.
NATO and the United States insist that the shield would defend NATO members against missiles from North Korea and Iran and would not be directed at Russia.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecBad news and good news18:42, 22/05/2012Bad news: - Unfortunately, NATO's record of hypocrisy and misrepresenting facts does not allow any room for trust. The so called missile shield, once deployed, may be easily converted and modified to target Russia's defensive installations.
Somehow the U.S. government did not share Borusewicz's views during the Cuban Missile Crisis, in 1962.
The good news is - Borusewicz admitted that NATO should not interfere in, or try to influence, the development of military technologies and systems in Iran, North Korea or any other country that is not a member of NATO.
Thank you, Bogdan!
- jg(no title)20:21, 22/05/2012"The so called missile shield, once deployed, may be easily converted and modified to target Russia's defensive installations."
It will be a missile shield and won't be able to target any ground installations. However, one can be sure that this system would be able to defend against any incoming missile, regardless of the country in which it was launched. In reality, it is unlikely that the system would even be able to distinguish a target missile's country of origin.
If relations between NATO and Russia were so bad that they were thinking of firing nuclear weapons at each other, any guarantee about the use of a missile shield would surely be worthless.
The Polish MP is an idiot. The missile shield alters the balance of nuclear forces between NATO and Russia and should have been included in START. Perhaps the Polish MP has some good ideas how ISAF forces in Afghanistan will continue to eat without Russia's assistance?
- AlexKBogdan is a best diplomat, ever ! Lol21:11, 22/05/2012So now Bogdan has to ensure NATO do not interfere or try to influence on Iran or NK ...
Said, must do!
Good point Bielec
- bielecIn response to ig:21:21, 22/05/2012Theoretically, you are right. But practically, everything is doable, the technology is there.
The same missile launch may fire a missile programmed to target airborn missiles and aircraft as well as ground installations or ground forces. It may be short range, but always.
This is just a matter of programming and navigation. Do you trust that NATO will not utilize this possibility, if they believe it necessary?
- machopolish president20:34, 22/05/2012Polish plane crash could have altered Poland's dealing with Russia. Russia should interrogate methods to get the situation to ease.Syria is a tough situation where leadership crisis is changing Russian foothold.Russian rivals could be using leadership change to get the situation against Russia. Any how it is clear that dissolution of soviet union resulted in loss of Russia and satellite republics strategic strength.
- PETEPETEPETEEastern Euros Walking Towards the USSR v2.021:16, 22/05/2012When this Eastern Euros figure out that their sold-out Elite sold them out, that they left one form of socialism to enter another that is even worst...they will cry. Western Corporate-Socialism and high-tech surveillance and Police State will make Bolshevik-Socialism and it's low-tech repression system look like a walk in the park.
- machoUSSR V2.021:13, 23/05/2012USSR Version is the day dream of the decade, soviet union if could have existed likewise the lines of European Union rather central Russian hard fist. The change of the decade should not be secret intelligence agency sponsored, it should open revolution through a free discussion of course intelligence community could support this.
- PolishManEverybody know about the echelon.22:15, 22/05/2012Russia knows too.
Polish freemason government is totally under zionist influence and they'll do everything what Washington (and Tel Aviv) order them to do. As simple as this!
- PETEPETEPETE(no title)22:51, 22/05/2012Yep. In my country (portugal) there was recently a scandal involving freemasonry in high places, the whole thing was skillfully kept under control by media, judicial system and government. One woman that was the victim of their mischief told a newspaper that if the honest part of the government tries to do something about it they will be attacked from all sides by super-powerful internal and external forces. Any country that goes against this system becomes the victim of economic sanctions and the "human rights" baloney...if that fails: "Bombs away!".
The majority of European population doesn't fear Russia and the same goes for a large part of it's political class, but there is a small but highly organized and powerful force that is trying to make us go along with their strategy of containing Russia.
- zoran.jelinicno negotiation00:18, 23/05/2012Poland quisling government is enemy of Slav world,
America didn't let Russian rockets near their borders in 1962, Russia now must do the same, not let any American rockets in East Europe and not to negotiate about it at all. Nato must remove rockets or Russia has to be prepared to remove them by force. Slav people are on Russia side and when time come quisling regimes in east Europe will disappear
- lmRussia must come out of the box they must.12:01, 23/05/2012Zoran.jelinic,
You are so correct. NATO knows all to well Russia is hesitant on taking the much talked response measures that the Kremlin has talked about.
And this is paradox of Russia’s foreign policy it is nailed tightly in a box.
One French opposition leader once asked why Russia takes such candid view of there interest aboard and I am sure NATO is asking the same thing of Russia privately.
My mother always said that action speaks louder than words, NATO is applying it.
- zoran.jelinic(no title)00:38, 23/05/2012it is to be or not to be, be free or be slave, for Russia and other Slavs, if Russia now don't have capacity for take countermeasure on Nato threat, only what it can be done in next 10 years is to restore Soviet Union, cancel decision of dissolution and come with new Soviet army on Union borders, that state will have power to stop all threats, weakness provoke aggression with dishonorable people
- hobbitofnyPoland wishes to use NATO01:10, 23/05/2012Oh look at history of Poland. Poland wishes to use NATO to rebuild and make itself bigger. Use NATO to hit Russia and eat up the nations that stand in the way. Ukraine should also watch out for Poland's actions.
- yao.lonnato dog05:36, 23/05/2012beware of nato
- SirkoVery Soon It Will Be To Late..!!!09:51, 23/05/2012What you are forgetting is that in the U.S. there are thousands of Poles and some of them like the Anti-Christ RAT Zbigniew Brzezinsky who was the National Security Adviser for Jimmy Carter have access to the corridors of decision making and power. He is still involved in so called Think Tanks where they plan scenarios against Russia. The Pole has always since antiquity been a traitor and a quisling of the west against Eastern Slavs. As Nokolai Gogol put it in his book Taras Bulba about the Zaporozhean Host, my Cossack ancestors. "There is only one way to keep faith with a Pole. Put your faith in your sword and the sword in the Pole.
The Anti-Christ Pole is trying with the help of NATO to recreate the so-called Polish empire at the expense of Byelorus, and the Ukraine but first the Pole needs to neutralize Russia. The first part of the plan has already unwound and succeeded with NATO moving into the former Warsaw Pact countries the second part of the plan is surrounding Russia with missiles and later nukes. This is the plan with the Missile Defense system. U.S. administrations of course love all quislings and proxies and non is better at this than the Pole. To accomplish their dream of a Greater Poland which has never diminished since my ancestors drove the Anti-Christ Pole out of the Ukraine in the late sixteen hundreds the Pole needs to isolate Russia from her eastern Slavic brothers, Byelorus, Ukraine, and all the Balkan Slavs. That process has been in effect since the destruction of Yugoslavia. That is also the reason one sees the EU attacking both Byelorus and the Ukraine economically. All the NATO rats are in on this scheme. The Serbs, Bulgars, Macedonians, Monte Negrans and other Eastern Slavs have historically been very close to Russia due to culture, language and religion.
Hence, with the conspiracy and destruction of Yugoslavia Russia has lost its best ally in the Balkans and the Balkans have traditionally been a very strategic region.
If the Kremlin is foolish enough not to tighten the noose around the Pole's neck then it will wake up one morning and find itself in the same pickle as Yugoslavia..
The Romans used to say, 'FACTA NON VERBA'......DEEDS NOT WORDS.....
Russia has the ability to cripple the Pole. Every sophisticated weapons system should be installed and aimed at the Pole as psychological warfare and all resources, trade, energy and fuel should be cut off immediately so that ordinary Polish people who are not brainwashed by the quisling puppet regime in Poland will wake up and appreciate the dire scenario their puppet regime is creating in Eastern Europe..
- WellingtonRussia need to rebuild character in the world...!!!14:41, 28/05/2012We all are waiting for a urgent response to NATO and Poland. The leadership should wake-up !! It was NATO, US and their allies reaction against Russia veto for Syria. Its clearly visible in their straight decision. Russia should wake-up and impose itself in the region as did before. If Russia want to better survive in the future, they need to step up and seriously do the business.
- lmHow much more talk the Kremlin needs before taking action?11:34, 23/05/2012The writing is on the wall the Kremlin needs no more proof.
It’s like a relationship holding on to someone who does not love you, but convincing yourself they do only to be hurt in the long run.
- Sirko:"Poland has warned Moscow..." Hahahahaha...!!! Hahahahha...!!! Simple Minded Moron...20:26, 23/05/2012American administrations have never sanctioned the end of the Cold War. The reason for this is Global Hegemony and they are using NATO to help in the dirty work necessary in achieving their objective. They do not fear China regardless, because China has the seeds of its own destruction from within and those seeds are 1.2 billion. Hence when the western 'Banksters' pull the plug on investments how do you teach those billions to go back and live on rice paddies in a country with an huge population and low resources?
However, the Banksters do fear Russia and have done so historically because of the resilience of its people and the vast resources of a landmass which is one eighth of the planet. During WW II the Banksters in the west who financed Hitler (One cannot build the greatest military machine in history on Wiemar Republic Deutschmarks. Also, do not forget that those very Banksters tried to obliterate the fledgeling Soviet State at its birth by invading the country during the civil war.) were expecting the Nazis to initially attack Russia as Hitler had promised with his vitriolic speeches against the socialists and communists and living room in the east, but not unlike Al Qaeda Hitler bit the hand which fed him and attacked the west first by invading France after Poland. It was not an accident that they allowed him to take over Czechoslovakia and Austria without firing one shot a tremendous industrial boon for the Third Reich. With the ultimate destruction of the Nazis by the Red Army in the old Soviet Union and the taking of Berlin, that fear went into an irrational hyper drive evidence by Churchill famous "Iron Curtain" speech in the U.S. after the war which was the signal for the beginning of anti-Russian pressure globally and the establishment of NATO a few years earlier. The world would have been a far happier place today if FDR had survived for a few more years for he considered Churchill a pompous imperialist. As I explained in another post, even during the development of the A-bomb in Los Alamos Groves the general in charge of the program openly stated to the physicist Oppenheimer, "Japan is finished. We are preparing this for the Russians."
The Soviet Union was dissolved do to a GREAT LIE. proving Hitler correct when he said in Mien Kampf that if you repeat a lie enough times everyone will believe it and the bigger the lie the better propaganda value. That Great Lie was the traitor and Mole Gorbachev and its official name in the west was 'Gorbi Mania'. ("Mr. Gorbachev tear that wall down." Reagan the McCarthyite RAT.) It was concocted in the corridors of power in Bonn and Washington with the Pole as its RUNNING DOG, Lech Valensa and 'Solidarnost' and the rest of that crap. In 1968 Gorbchev was Agricultural Minister of the Soviet Union and Yeltsin was Party Secretary. On a visit to Canada they were wined and dined and the seeds were sown to dismantle the Berlin Wall (made all the Nazis very happy) which was the stepping stone in dismantling the Warsaw Pact and not long later the USSR. Not one of the promises made to the FOOL and ETERNAL MOLE Gorbachev were kept. The prime one being that NATO would not expand into the Warsaw Pact countries. The dismantling of the Warsaw Pact and the duplicious offers of aid in the establishment of a market economy in the USSR was its destruction for none of the promised aid materialized. All promises were lies. Rather a vehement program of cannibalization of the vast industries and resources of the state were put into practice during the Drunk Yeltsin's period, grinding Russia into the dirt and it is still going on.
Subsequently, the dismemberment of Yugoslavia was necessary to drive a wedge between Russia and her Balkan Slav brothers, her traditional sphere of influence. This was accomplished by mobilizing treason in the eternally pro-German Ustashi Croats (a entire battalion fought at Stalingrad with the Nazis) and supporting Muslim extremists in Bosnia, Herzegovina and of course Kosovo, importing Muslim fighters from all over the Al Qaeda sphere of influence.
That is a brief overview of the scheme and the rest if one follows global issues is self-evident and on going. NATO is not in Afghanistan to fight the "Bullshit War On Terror". It is in Afghanistan a country which they originally destabilized by getting rid of Pakistan's democratic leader Benezir Bhutto (later to be assassinated with the blessing of the CIA) and placing the military in charge under Mushareff (retired very comfortably and rich in London) who with the aid of CIA billions created the Madrasas Schools and the Mujahedin to infiltrate and create civil strife inside a Soviet Ally. That Mujahedin of course latter became the Taliban. Afghanistan, if one studies the map is the Hub of Asia and the Idiots in the Kremlin are actually helping NATO in Afghanistan with supply lines and transit routes from Lenin's birth place Ulyanovsk. (Mind boggling is it not???) Hence, if one is planning to surround an adversary on must control Afghanistan and of course, isolate Russia from its eastern European allies and fellow Slavs. The job in Eastern Europe has been accomplish but the Taliban are proving that you cannot buy everyone off with American chocolate bars and Coca Cola as you most easily can do with the Pole..:-)
This plan has been used before many times in history. The capture of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turk was facilitated by the Anti-Christ Child Molesters in Rome who instructed the Austrians to build seven huge cannons. Each took one day to load with enormous granite cannon balls higher than an average man's height. The Ottomans surrounded the city for years with the blessings of the Pope, but had no such technology. The city was impregnable for centuries with only one land route of attack. The Theodosian Wall which was built during the time of the Huns was enormous and extremely thick and tiered with complex defensive mechanism between each tier. The only weakness were the gates and adjacent walls. It was these cannons under the pay of the Vatican which enabled the Ottomans to destroy the pre-eminent city of Christendom so that the centre of the Childmolesters (Rome) could become the centre of Christendom.
In conclusion, The Policy of NATO is as mentioned before nullify Russia as a global player and one begins that process by offering crumbs and scraps while one implements the plan of emasculation. Russia today thanks to Gorbachev the Mole and Yeltsin the bought off Drunk finds itself behind the EIGHT BALL and can only talk and talk and more talk. It has allowed its military industrial complex to collapse. Why does one think they are looking at foreign weaponry such as the idiocy of Italian tanks with rubber wheels and gas engines no doubt??? The only thing the Italians are good at is Ferraris and who needs those in the geo-political sphere and the factory which produces white flags.
However, the technical potential, education, resources and ability to rise above extreme contrition has always been the Russian Character. Russia needs to play hardball with the "Kilyivi Lyax". If you know your Russian you'll know what that means. I learned it from my great grandfather and describes the Pollack exquisitely. No one is going to destabilize the world and bring it to the precipice over the Pole. Upon that you can trust for it is engraved in the Heavens and Cold Reason decrees it from her Awful Throne...Whether they like it or not history has placed the traitors at Russia's borders and those of all the Eastern Slavs. Hence, they are under that sphere of influence whether they like it or not and not some power from thousands of kilometre's away.
This issue over the Missile Defense will determine Russia's future if she fails to extirpate that threat completely then Russia can kiss her butt goodbye.....There should be "No Compromise....!!!!" on the defense of one's people...
- lmWell written post above..22:12, 23/05/2012This is what NATO wants Russia to believe the lie that the missile is not aim at Russia, tell Russia over and over again until they believe that it is not pointed at them.
- arsanlupinPolitical radicalism and mathematical ignorance - a poisonous combination!16:16, 17/06/2012All this geo-political posturing is arrant nonsense – please take it out into your respective yards and fertilize your gardens with it. Apparently Canada would yet again need to export some of theirs, lest they drown in Bolshevik dinosaur excrement …
It all comes down to numbers: range, trajectory, distance, warhead, and the cost of making a fully functional ABM. These alone render ALL of the blathering about it being a threat to Russia into the manure it really is. Oh – and the design and assembly of a missile so intricate and specialized it makes the finest Swiss pocket watches look like a lump of the aforementioned manure.
The RIM-161 Standard would never be modified to hit a ground target for the same reason a Lamborghini would never be converted into a cargo van – why waste the effort? Short-range surface to surface missiles were easy to make in the 1950’s – even the Nazis had them in 1944. But an ABM missile requires an extremely powerful propulsion system to reach a ballistic inbound moving at 27,000 kilometers per hour. It needs a highly specialized semi-active radar homing/long-wave infrared seeker guidance system to hit said ballistic inbound, and the ability to make last-second maneuvers on terminal approach. It requires a unique Lightweight Exo-Atmospheric Projectile warhead – a kinetic kill vehicle that carries no explosives – to destroy with the use of both warhead and target velocity.
Note: the use of a kinetic warhead makes the missile worthless against any ballistic target that is NOT moving towards the ABM’s launch point. It requires the speed of an inbound target to provide the 130 megajoules required to destroy the ICBM. One look at a map would make it obvious: the positions of the European missile shield interceptors, and the possible positions of ANY Russian ICBM’s, render the former from hitting the latter in every possible scenario – but one. The only Russian ICBM’s they would be capable of intercepting would be ICBM’s that Russia launches against Africa!
Why use a $24 million ABM to throw a piece of inert metal about as big as a desk against ground targets when a WWII-era Fieseler V-1 flying bomb would be more effective? Why indeed?
No, the guidance system couldn’t be re-programmed and no the warhead couldn’t be replaced – the entire assembly is designed and assembled and finely tuned and programmed for a single target: incoming – I repeat INCOMING – ballistic missiles. Finally it has a range of only 500 kilometers, and none are being installed within 500 km of Russia. This means they are incapable of hitting anything in Russian airspace.
Politics is completely irrelevant to this issue – it all comes down to numbers. The numbers say that the SM-3 is completely and totally incapable of being a threat to Russia. Any of you capable of counting past twenty without opening your trousers should be able to figure it out for yourselves.
That being said, the Polish parliamentarian is an idiot, pandering to a local constituency of a people with an antipathy to Russia that dates back centuries. Poland is a recent addition to NATO, Russia is just as much a part of Europe as Poland is, and a NATO that would include Russia would settle this childish rivalry once and for all. Ukraine might be the key: A RIA Novosti article from last October quoted Ukrainian envoy to NATO Igor Dolgov as saying that Ukraine is ready to contribute to the creation of the European missile shield if the program is developed in cooperation with Russia. Reason might break out in this world? I'd like to hope, but after reading the vacuous ranting, childish name-calling, transparent lies, and historical irrelevancies from most of you – all meant to distract from the above cold hard facts – and I'm not holding my breath.
Image Galleries: Classic Car Rally in St. Petersburg
Infographics: Global Warming: Predicting Future Disasters
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.