Topic: Top stories of the day
* The arraignment of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other people accused of masterminding the 9/11 attacks in the United States got complicated when they appeared before a U.S. military court at Guantanamo to be charged on Saturday, the BBC reported
* The Human Rights and Democracy Report in 2011 is nonobjective and the serious democratic reforms successfully implemented in Russia were not considered, the Russian Foreign Ministry’s ombudsman for human rights, Konstantin Dolgov, said
* At least three Russian tourists were missing and a total of 13 people dead after floods triggered by landslides swept the Rapti river in the popular Annapurna trekking region in the west of the Nepal
* Russia’s law enforcement agencies are searching for a group of suspected suicide bombers in the Moscow Region after finding out a car containing suspects in two bomb attacks on May 3 in the Russian North Caucasus republic of Dagestan was near Moscow on April 28
* The first elections of Russia's regional governors following the return to an electoral system will take place on October 14 in at least two regions, Central Election Commission Vladimir Churov said following an election commission representatives meeting
* The Moscow police have stepped up security across the city in preparation for the opposition March of Millions rally on May 6 and inauguration of President Vladimir Putin on May 7, as well as the May 9 Victory Day parade
* Russian-British joint oil venture TNK-BP has confirmed its intention to join state-controlled oil major Rosneft in developing hydrocarbon deposits in Russia’s Arctic, Rosneft head Eduard Khudainatov said
* Russian state-run oil major Rosneft signed a multibillion dollar joint venture deal with Norway's Statoil energy firm to jointly develop four offshore hydrocarbon deposits in Russia's Arctic and Far East, Rosneft said
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
During Vladimir Putin’s annual Q&A session some members of the Valdai International Discussion Club asked him several questions. How united is the West in its desire to punish Russia? Which EU countries are in favour of isolating Russia? Is this even possible? And what is going on in Ukraine?