A hijacked commercial plane crashes into the World Trade Center 11 September 2001 in New York© AFP 2013/ SETH MCALLISTER
MOSCOW, May 5 (RIA Novosti)
- Due West: As U.S. commemorates 9/11, Kremlin looks the other way
- The Arab Spring as the echo of the 9/11 tragedy
- Curiosity 9/11
- U.S. sees 'credible' 9/11 anniversary threat
- Obama seeks better relations with Islamic world on 9/11 anniversary
- The steel and fire of 9/11
- U.S. president extends 9/11 nationwide emergency for a year
- On 9/11, missed opportunities and unfulfilled dreams
The arraignment of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other people accused of masterminding the 9/11 attacks in the United States got complicated when they appeared before a U.S. military court at Guantanamo to be charged on Saturday, the BBC reported.
The suspects refused to answer questions. Hours into the hearing, one suspect broke the silence saying Americans could kill him during the trial.
The defendants are accused of planning and executing the attacks on September 11, 2001, when four hijacked planes struck New York, Washington and Shanksville, Pennsylvania, leaving nearly 3,000 people dead.
The Department of Defense on Friday unveiled formal charges against the five, alleging that the five are "responsible for the planning and execution of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, in New York, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pa., resulting in the killing of 2,976 people."
Mohammed and four others face the death penalty if convicted.
Mohammed was initially charged in 2008, but President Barack Obama stopped the case in an attempt to close the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, the CNN reported.
Unable to succeed, Obama tried moving the case to New York federal court in 2009, but the plan was dropped due to cost and security complaints.
Technically, the constitutional requirement for a speedy trial has been met once the five suspects are arraigned, according to the CNN.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecInvalid Trial00:53, 06/05/2012The charges are based on "information" extracted from the "suspects" with torture. Naturally, to stop torture the interrogated prisoner will say anything the interrogator wants to hear. Now, this political circus continues in court.
The world has once look up to the U.S. as a country promoting human rights. I guess, it was all propaganda. The truth is - it's a totalitarian regime based on corruption and abuse of power.
- bielecInvalid Trial00:55, 06/05/2012The charges are based on "information" extracted from the "suspects" with torture. Naturally, to stop torture the interrogated prisoner will say anything the interrogator wants to hear. Now, this political circus continues in court.
The world has once looked up to the U.S. as a country promoting human rights. I guess, it was all propaganda. The truth is - it's a totalitarian regime based on corruption and abuse of power.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgThis is such a ridiculous story!05:51, 06/05/2012I honestly cannot believe that this article is on RIA Novosti!
It is a well known fact throughout the United States and Canada that the twin New York Trade Center Towers and the attack on the Pentagon were organized and executed by former President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and other key top players at the White House.
To even suggest that lesser players were involved in the planned demolition of the twin World Trade Towers and the Tomahawk Missile attack on the Pentagon is absolutely ridiculous!
Please visit the web site Top Documentary Films and watch the 40 to 50 films that have been made since September 11, 2001 that clearly place the blame of 911 on the Republican administration of former President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.
This was a False Flag event to enrage the American people to allow two wars to be started. One with Iraq and one with Afghanistan.
The purpose of these wars was to secure addition energy resources for the United States.
Both wars were completely successful in accomplishing their goals.
The cost in lives of 911, the Iraqi War and the Afghanistan War.
900,000 people killed
1,700,000 people wounded
Only this past year Dick Cheney tried to enter Canada and was forced to change his plans because Canadian citizens did NOT him in their country.
There is a very good reason for this. When you deliberately set in motion events that will kill 900,000 people and wound 1,700,000 people, for the energy greed of oil companies, people the world over tend not to like you.
In the 2006 one of the most revealing documentaries of the true events of 911 was released called, Loose Change. This documentary can be seen on YouTube.
Loose Change Final Edition.
There is NO escape for former President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.
They each have 65 million years in karmic redemption to make up for the 900,000 they killed and another 128 million years in karmic redemption for the 1,700,000 that were injured. This karmic debt must be paid in future lives and it is going to be a rotten 183 million years for these two characters.
What goes around comes around!
- arsanlupinConspiracy theory RUBBISH!23:53, 06/05/2012“It is a well known fact throughout the United States and Canada“ – only in the tiny circle of conspiracy-theorist naysayers who wouldn’t or couldn’t admit to a fact if it came up and bit them in the nose. To the rest of the continent – especially the huge number of eyewitnesses – it is a well-known fact that a bunch of Muslim extremists flew hijacked airliners into their targets.
Millions of people watched as the hijacked airliners struck the Twin Towers. It was as public a way of destroying the towers as one could possibly stage. To say it was caused by anything else is to call every eyewitness in the New York metropolitan area either a liar or hallucinating – all the same thing at the same time. Many more watched as a third airliner struck the Pentagon. A passing Air National Guard C-130, asked by Washington air traffic control to identify the aircraft maneuvering so strangely, visually identified it as a Boeing 757 or 767. The C-130 pilot watched it crash into the Pentagon in a huge fireball as 40 tons of jet fuel ignited. A security camera also caught the impact, recording it for posterity. The two Rolls Royce RB211 turbofans dug out of the Pentagon wreckage weren’t from a cruise missile but from a Boeing 757. Osama Bin Laden released a video of himself claiming responsibility for the attacks three years later.
Conspiracy theories are a last resort of people unwilling or incapable of admitting that sometimes they are simply wrong. They more they insist on their pet conspiracies, the more irrational they sound.
Image Galleries: Siberian Air Base Gets New Su-30SM Fighter Jets
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.