CAIRO, May 2 (RIA Novosti)
- Egyptian Military Reiterate Pledge to Cede Power After Polls
- Egyptian Military Confirm Plans for Presidential Polls
- Egyptian military plans to transfer power to civilian rule 'as soon as possible'
- Egypt Announces List of Presidential Candidates
- Egypt to Hold Presidential Election on May 23-24
- Egypt’s Year Without a Pharaoh
Egypt's military is ready to hand over power to a new president after the first round of the vote on May 24, Egyptian Armed Forces Chief of Staff Sami Anan said on Wednesday.
That will happen if the first round produces an outright winner, he said.
“The Military Council is looking forward to the presidential election,” he said.
With 13 candidates in the running none are expected to garner more than 50 percent in the May 23-24 vote, which is likely to go to a run-off in June.
At least eleven people were killed and dozens injured earlier on Wednesday during riots outside the Defense Ministry in the center of Cairo. One of the main demands of the protesters is the speedy transfer of power from military to civilian rule.
State power has been in the hands of the Military Council since long-serving president Hosni Mubarak was toppled in February 2011.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: The Pearl of Russia's Far East
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize
Vladimir Putin Meets with Members of the Valdai International Discussion Club. Transcript of the Final Plenary Session
Vladimir Putin took part in the final plenary session of the Valdai International Discussion Club’s 11th meeting. The plenary session summed up the club’s work over the previous three days, which concentrated on analysing the factors eroding the current system of institutions and norms of international law.