KIEV, April 25 (RIA Novosti)
- Ukraine stands by its view of Stalin as villain - president (Update 1)
- Stalinism Museum to be Opened in Georgia
- Stalin Buses' to Appear in Latvia, Estonia in May
- Communists erect Stalin statue in Russian city of Penza
Activists of the radical All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks plan to erect monuments to Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin in four cities of Ukraine on May 7, as part of Victory Day celebrations, the Party said in a statement on Wednesday.
Monuments to the victorious wartime leader are planned in Kiev, Lviv, Odessa and Dnepropetrovsk.
“Thanks to his merits and the victory of Soviet Union in the World War II, the Red Army liberated the occupied territory of the Ukrainian SSR, thus restoring freedom to the Ukrainian people," the statement says.
"It is our sacred duty to commemorate this victory and those who won it. Stalin's personality is an example of an uncompromising fighter for freedom and equal rights for us and he should serve as an example for the younger generation,” it says.
There are currently monuments to Stalin in Zaporozhye region, Donetsk, Sumy Region, Zaporozhye and Kharkov.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Beryev(no title)23:29, 25/04/2012This kind of thing makes me slightly annoyed. They choose to erect a statue to Stalin, but not the common Soviet soldier? Or if we want to pay tribute to the actual decision makers, why not the talent that actually won the war such as Zhukov, Rokossovski, Konev or Vatutin? But instead we pay tribute to a person who appeased fascists with "pacts", who's complacency allowed them to reach as far as Moscow? Either way, commemorating just a single person simply insults and undermines the actual struggle and sacrifice that happened.