MOSCOW, April 24 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian army to receive 120 Iskander tactical missile systems
- Western military district gets first Iskander tactical missile system
- U.S. to deploy ballistic missiles in Poland by 2018
- Russia on U.S. missile plan: No Poland deployment
- Is missile defense in Poland still a threat to Russia?
Moscow reiterated on Tuesday it may deploy Iskander theater ballistic missiles in the Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad that will be capable of effectively engaging elements of the U.S. missile defense system in Poland.
The missile defense system in Poland does not jeopardize Russia’s nuclear forces, Army General Nikolai Makarov, chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, said.
“However, if it is modernized…it could affect our nuclear capability and in that case a political decision may be made to deploy Iskander systems in the Kaliningrad region,” he said in an interview with RT television.
“But that will be a political decision,” he stressed. “So far there is no such need.”
NATO members agreed to create a missile shield over Europe to protect it against ballistic missiles launched by so-called rogue states, for example Iran and North Korea, at a summit in Lisbon, Portugal, in 2010.
Russia has strongly criticized NATO’s reluctance to provide written, legally binding guarantees that its European missile shield will not be directed against Moscow.
President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered an array of measures to strengthen the country’s missile defense capabilities to counter NATO’s shield, including the deployment of Iskander missiles on the border with Poland.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmPlease father in heaven tell us when Russia will stop talking and be serious about standing up?20:32, 24/04/2012Russia Repeats Iskander Deployment Threat end quote.
Good father in heaven why Russia talks so much why I need help on this question honestly?
Every morning so to speak Russia wakes up to some new news of deployment form the West yet still Russia is talking of this and that but doing nothing it’s like begging for attention to be heard. WAKE UP RUSSIA/KREMLIN STOP TALKING AND JUST DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO WHEN WILL YOU ALL LEARN WHEN?
- yao.lonRUSSIA SHOULD PLAY SMART!16:31, 25/04/2012NATO DOES'NT TELL RUSSIA EVERTHING. IT HIDES WHAT THEY INTEND TO DO.
- SirkoRassmussen's Waffen SS02:04, 26/04/2012"Please father in heaven..."
Hahahaha..Very good, but the following is a quantum leap of Hahahaha...
"...written, legally binding guarantee..."
Does that not blow a reasonable man away???
Can you be any more foolish and naive as to believe in such BUNK. Once, again I reiterate have you forgotten the Molotov-Ribbentrop Non Aggression Pact?
Rasmussen's father most probably was one of the Danish fascists who served in the Special Waffen- SS in the Eastern Front...
Never mind the placation "...may deploy..." deploy thousands and aim ninety percent of them at the Polish and Czech traitors...
- arthurborgesMay 720:36, 01/05/2012Inauguration Day would be a suitably symbolic moment to simply announce deployment.
- Sirko(no title)17:52, 05/05/2012What happened to the Russians who crushed fascism. Today's have no 'cojones' I do not believe that Putin is much better. Too many 'dweebs, weenies and nerds'! Put a Cossack in the Kremlin, or at leas head of the miliary and defence.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Edward Snowden is not an isolated case but part of an independent community which is increasingly resolute in asserting itself and rejecting “raison d’Etat” and behind-the-scenes manipulation. The direct results of Snowden’s disclosures are most clearly evident in the context of Russian-American relations. The Snowden case has humiliated Europe, which Putin took the opportunity to remind them of.