Topic: Top stories of the day
A roundup of what has happened in the past 24 hours
* Russia's political opposition has applied to hold a May 6 "March of Millions" in Moscow to protest the results of parliamentary and presidential elections, the Left Front movement said in a statement
* Russian scientists have spotted what they believe to be the first ever adult albino orca, or killer whale, off the coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia’s Far East, the international science project Far East Russia Orca reported
* With almost all ballots counted in French presidential elections, socialist Francois Hollande has 28.61 percent of the vote, while his main rival, conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy, is second with 27.08 percent, the French Interior Ministry sai
* Ukraine is currently working on an expanded governmental program aimed at sprucing up the contaminated territories adjacent to the crippled Chernobyl nuclear power plant, Prime Minister Mykola Azarov said
* Russian football authorities will eradicate match-fixing entirely by carrying out more investigations and issuing tough punishments, the head of the Russian Football Union’s committee on match-fixing said
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Some people are trying to make the reality in Russia at least a bit more humane. The amnesty should apply not only to persons involved in high-profile cases, but also to individuals who are not as well-known. It is better to set free at least some of the individuals who deserve to be released than no one at all.