MOSCOW, April 10 (RIA Novosti)
- UN Report Says 60 Libyan Civilians Killed in NATO Airstrikes
- Egypt may support Russia’s probe into NATO attacks in Libya – Egyptian Foreign Minister
- NATO rejects criticism over Libya; says operation ‘saved lives’
- Russia’s UN envoy urges probe into NATO’s attacks on Libyans - TV
NATO has not yet provided a full account of the effects of its intervention in Libya last year, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday.
The international NATO-led military operation in Libya began on March 19, 2011, two days after the approval of a UN resolution on "targeted measures" to protect civilians from ongoing clashes between forces loyal to former leader Muammar Gaddafi and rebels seeking his overthrow.
“Our NATO partners have not yet given an accounting of their actions in Libya and the consequences of the ongoing crisis there on other North Africa countries,” Lavrov said, adding that the U.S.-led alliance has so far avoided a fair discussion on “the Libyan post-crisis syndrome.”
Russia has repeatedly criticized the NATO-led operation in Libya for exceeding the UN mandate by supporting rebel forces in their fight against troops loyal to Col. Muammar Gaddafi, who ruled Libya for more than 40 years before he was deposed by rebel forces in August.
Ousted Libyan leader Gaddafi was killed in October near his hometown of Sirte after being captured by rebel Transitional National Council (TNC) forces.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.