MOSCOW, March 21 (RIA Novosti)
- Romney Wins Michigan, Arizona in Republican Race
- Romney closer to taking on Obama after NH primary triumph
- Romney wins Michigan primary to breathe new life into campaign
- Santorum Wins Key States of Alabama, Mississippi
- Santorum Sweeps in Minnesota, Missouri, Colorado
Mitt Romney won the Illinois Republican party presidential primary on Tuesday, tightening his grip on the nomination.
Romney has won 47 percent of the vote, easily beating his main challenger, Rick Santorum, who had 35 percent.
Ron Paul won just 9 percent and Newt Gingrich 8 percent, after choosing not to campaign in the state.
Romney's aides hope that winning Illinois will give him an unassailable lead in the race for the party nomination, after he lost to Santorum in conservative southern states, U.S. media report.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Earlier this month, Russia hosted the Fourth International Meeting of the Arctic Council at Naryan-Mar, a seaport in the Barents Sea, to discuss issues relating to the infrastructure and safety of ships passing through the Northern Sea Route (NSR).