MOSCOW, March 21 (RIA Novosti)
- Romney Wins Michigan, Arizona in Republican Race
- Romney closer to taking on Obama after NH primary triumph
- Romney wins Michigan primary to breathe new life into campaign
- Santorum Wins Key States of Alabama, Mississippi
- Santorum Sweeps in Minnesota, Missouri, Colorado
Mitt Romney won the Illinois Republican party presidential primary on Tuesday, tightening his grip on the nomination.
Romney has won 47 percent of the vote, easily beating his main challenger, Rick Santorum, who had 35 percent.
Ron Paul won just 9 percent and Newt Gingrich 8 percent, after choosing not to campaign in the state.
Romney's aides hope that winning Illinois will give him an unassailable lead in the race for the party nomination, after he lost to Santorum in conservative southern states, U.S. media report.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Verkhovna Rada Elections in Ukraine: Darth Vader and Friends
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize
The 11th Meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club: The World Order: New Rules or No Rules?
The opening session entitled The Limits of Governability, or Systemic Failure provided the basis for subsequent discussions and highlighted the most painful issues in contemporary international relations.