MOSCOW, March 12 (RIA Novosti, Alexey Eremenko)
- U.S. Invites Russian Cooperation on Missile Defense
- Russia to Hold International Conference on Missile Defense
- Moscow Wants Missile Defense Talks at NATO Summit
- Putin Blames U.S. for Failed Missile Defense Talks
The U.S. has said it is willing to disclose classified information to Russia on the missile defense shield to be deployed in Europe, a move that a military analyst said could solve the impasse over the American program.
The plans to share unspecified “secret data” on the missile defense shield with Russia were first voiced late last week by Bradley Roberts, U.S. Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary. Pentagon spokeswoman April Cunningham confirmed this information for a Kommersant newspaper article published on Monday.
It is not yet clear exactly which data may be disclosed to Russia, which has for years strongly opposed American plans to deploy a missile defense shield in Eastern Europe, including Poland, Romania and the Czech Republic.
The White House insists the program is aimed against a potential threat from rogue states such as Iran and North Korea but Russia says its own missiles will also fall under the shield, destroying the nuclear balance that existed since the Cold War.
In November, news leaked that the White House was in secret talks with Russia about providing it with information on the velocity burnout of the modified version of the SM-3 rocket, which is to become the staple interceptor rocket of the U.S. missile shield by 2020. However, the U.S. administration denied at the time that it proposed to disclose the data on the rocket’s crucial parameter to Moscow.
“If they are really going to disclose data on [rocket] speed, that’ll be the decisive argument” for Russia, said Alexander Khramchikhin, a researcher with the Moscow-based Institute for Political and Military Analysis think-tank.
Speed of interceptor rockets is the only thing the Russian military needs to know to determine whether the U.S. missile shield really poses a risk to Russian rockets, Khramchikhin said by phone on Monday.
The move would be unprecedented but not impossible, though the upcoming U.S. presidential campaign is likely to hurt these plans, said Khramchikhin. Republican opponents of incumbent President Barack Obama, who is planning to seek reelection, have repeatedly accused him of being too soft in his dealings with Russia.
Russian officials have not commented on the proposal as of Monday.
Russian-American talks on the missile defense shield failed to progress last year, with both sides refusing to make any significant concessions. However, the matter is to be taken up again in May at an international conference in Moscow organized by the Russian Defense Ministry and a NATO summit in Chicago later the same month.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmA promise is comfort to a fool.14:17, 12/03/2012So what Russia should do now abandoned its response to the missile shield? Russia should not be guided by the missile shield intent but rather its possibilities, for when dealing with the West a gentile man’s agreement knows no honesty in the West, even a written agreement they can double back saying let them take us to court or let them retaliate by that time it is too late for Russia because they have been already surrounded.
Then there is the other scenario well we give you written assurance so it’s no problem if Ukraine and Georgia joins NATO!
- Bugbear(no title)15:03, 12/03/2012You have the right idea but actually there is a sort of honesty in the West. It is the sneaky tricky deceptive honesty of Christianity. Those in control of the West (psychopaths) get their greatest satisfaction from trickery and "outsmarting" their opponent. For example true critial information might be provided only to have that critical information changed the next day or month. The truth you think you hear/read is not the truth that is said/written. The double talk is rampant in the New testament. When caught in the trick THEN the psychopath will start to lie and cheat.
- p2o2rianUS impudence and hubris15:20, 12/03/2012US Hubris and impudence set new high or low. What the heck is going in this World now that diplomacy doesn't work and USraeli Empire does whatever he wants and says brazen lies on daily basis?
Is there no red line for their pursuit for world dominance?
- nicoleWhy Russia Follows US?15:30, 12/03/2012Why Russia has to only Respond to whatever USA does? so now Russia will abandon its response to Missile Shield? WHY?
Russia should make moves first and let USA follow, like they did when USSR put Missiles in CUBA.
Russia, LEAD your way on this Planet Earth, Don't just do or don't do, in response to US moves.
HAVE your own destiny, Select your OWN course into the Future, for you, for the world and for the humanity.
RUSSIA, PLEASE SAVE THIS PLANET FROM US/NATO destruction.
- mrgenieRussia needs it's own missile defense.17:08, 12/03/2012Actually, all the world needs defenses against nuclear missiles. So we can all scrap these monstrous weapons.I do not agree with Putin that Russia must kill 200 million children and 250 million woman. I don't see what's the point of Russia killing hundreds of millions of people. Instead, Russia, and every other nation on this globe, should work on defense projects to make those nukes obsolete.
Image Galleries: Siberian Air Base Gets New Su-30SM Fighter Jets
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.