Topic: Libya after Gaddafi
MOSCOW, March 3 (RIA Novosti)
- UN diplomat delivers sobering report on Libya
- Libya’s Colonial War One Year Later
- NATO rejects criticism over Libya; says operation ‘saved lives’
- NATO will stop bombing Libya but won’t leave
- U.S. pledges $40 million to Libya for arms stockpile safety
Sixty civilians were killed and 55 wounded in NATO airstrikes last year in Libya, said a UN report prepared by a commission that probed human rights abuses and war crimes in the North African state.
The international NATO-led military operation in Libya began on March 19, 2011, two days after the approval of a UN resolution on "targeted measures" to protect civilians from ongoing clashes between forces loyal to former leader Muammar Gaddafi and rebels seeking his overthrow.
The report said that NATO “conducted a highly precise campaign with a demonstrable determination to avoid civilian casualties,” but the commission noted incidents of civilian deaths and damage to civilian infrastructure as a result of NATO airstrikes.
“Amongst the 20 NATO airstrikes investigated, the Commission documented five airstrikes where a total of 60 civilians were killed and 55 injured. The Commission also investigated two NATO airstrikes which damaged civilian infrastructure and where no military target could be identified,” the report said.
The deadliest airstrike causing civilian deaths was registered on August 8, 2011 in the coastal town of Majer, where NATO bombs killed 34 and wounded 38 civilians.
“After the initial airstrike killed 16, a group of rescuers arrived and were hit by a subsequent attack, killing 18,” the report said.
On the whole, the commission said in its report that crimes against humanity and war crimes were committed by both the troops loyal to the former leader, Gaddafi, and the rebel forces that fought against him.
“Acts of murder, enforced disappearance and torture were perpetrated within the context of a widespread or systematic attack against a civilian population,” the report said.
Ousted Libyan leader Gaddafi was killed in October near his hometown of Sirte after being captured by the rebel Transitional National Council (TNC) forces.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mrgenie60 deaths07:52, 03/03/2012That's terrible. I do believe the real number of civilians died from misguided bombs might be closer to the range of 400 to 500. Nevertheless, that's much much fewer as innocent people who would have been slain by Gaddafi forces. And, is nowhere near to the number of deaths killed in Syria by Russia. Mr Putin keeps selling Russian weapons to Syria to be used against woman, children, older people, demonstrators, etc. he said many times he will continue selling rockets for rocket-launchers to enable Assad to launch massive assaults against civilian areas. Also the bullets Assad's troops needs for their Kalashnikovs Mr. Putin said he will deliver everything they need to keep killing. Thus far Mr. Putin has supported the killing of over 11.000 people in total, 3000 security forces and 8000 civilians. A disgrace to our beautiful country!
- finnHow many deaths?22:33, 03/03/2012More important than counting the number of civilians killed would be to consider how many people (any people) were killed in Libya during and after the NATO intervention, and how many would have been killed without it. Or how many people were killed in Iraq during the US intervention and have been killed there so far, and how many would have been killed without the intervention. Nobody can give a definite answer, because outcome of the other alternatives can only be guessed. However, it seems rather obvious that the interventions have caused a lot of misery, suffering and chaos to those countries. It is frightening to even think how many people (any people) would be killed or seriously wounded in an intervention to Syria.