Topic: Protests in Syria
MOSCOW, February 10 (RIA Novosti)
- NATO to Stay out of Syrian Conflict
- Russia Against Outside Intervention in Syria – Defense Ministry
- Russia, China Seek Cooperation with Arab League on Syria
- UN, Arab League May Send Joint Observer Mission to Syria
- Moscow, Turkey to Pool Efforts on Syria Crisis
- Putin Condemns Syria Violence but Warns against Interference
There are no British troops in Syria, the UK Embassy in Moscow said on Friday.
“These reports are untrue. There are absolutely no British troops on Syrian territory at the moment,” an embassy official said.
An Israeli website, Debkafile, has reported that British and Qatari troops are directing rebel ammunition deliveries and tactics in the bloody battle for Homs.
It said four centers of operation had been set up in the city to prepare for a secret Turkish military incursion into Syria.
NATO Secretary General Andres Fogh Rasmussen said earlier on Friday that the alliance would not become involved in the ongoing political crisis in Syria.
Russia and China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution on Syria backed by the Arab League and Western nations to prevent a repetition of “the Libyan scenario.”
At least 5,400 people have been killed in the government's 11-month crackdown on protesters, according to the UN. Syrian authorities blame the violence on armed gangs affiliated with al-Qaeda and say more than 2,000 soldiers and police have been killed.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- jgRussia to send special forces to support Assad?02:27, 11/02/2012Interestingly, the same Israeli website reports that Russia was considering sending special forces to Syria, in direct support of Assad. I am not sure if either report is true.
It is possible that Israel might prefer Assad to remain in power in Syria, rather than have some new, unknown and unpredictable government next door.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: Sledge Hockey
The unconstitutional takeover in Ukraine was the toughest, consistent and so far most effective Western counterattack launched amid the ongoing struggle for a fairer world order. Only the naïve believe that the United States and Europe will willingly share their right to rule the world, though their belief is worthy of respect.