BRUSSELS, October 5 (RIA Novosti)
- NATO optimistic over European missile shield
- Russia, U.S. will agree on missile defense data exchange system - U.S. envoy
- No truth behind Russian-Iran missile shield - NATO envoy
- Russia's asymmetrical response to U.S. missile defense
NATO's Euro missile defense program will become fully operational by 2018, the alliance's chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Wednesday.
"We would expect it to be fully operational in 2018," Rasmussen said after the meeting of the NATO states' defense ministers in Brussels.
Later on Wednesday Spain is expected to announce its decision to join the Euro missile defense project along with Romania, Poland, the Netherlands and Turkey, which have already agreed to deploy key components of the future missile defense network on their territories.
Rasmussen said he would not be surprised if there will be "further announcements in the comings weeks and months as regards new inputs from other countries."
Russia is insisting on a joint system with full-scale interoperability to ensure that NATO's system will not be directed against Moscow. The alliance, however, favors two independent systems that exchange information.
U.S. Ambassador to Moscow John Beyrle said in an interview with Russian business daily Kommersant on Monday that Russia and the U.S. will sign an agreement on the information exchange system of the European missile shield during the NATO summit in Chicago.
The ambassador said the information exchange system will include an exchange of technology as well as two command centers aimed at tracking missile launches all over the world and analyzing possible threats.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- p2o2rianREAL BAD things are speeding up00:39, 06/10/2011It is hard not to observe that the West declarations on "NATO's Euro missile defense program" are multiplying in increasing speed and with defying logic increasing clout. Just like roller-steamer put on the idle on a slope of a road.
I'm not the one to consider further moves on behalf of a free world to which I include Russian Federation but something sinister is rising over the horizon.
I hope Mr Rogozin didn't mince words saying those words - "You can’t even imagine how efficient and rapid our response will be."
(http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/09/29/56947848.html - Russia’s security and independence –unalterable values) published on The Voice of Russia website.
- p2o2rianAddendum00:45, 06/10/2011And I hope the measures will not include ONLY - immensely belated Air and Space Defence Force
(Russia to create Air and Space Defence Force: http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/10/04/58160682.html)
Erdogan will continue to help consolidate Islam’s influence in public life and use Islam as a political issue. It is hard to say what Turkey will do in the Muslim world, but Erdogan obviously does not need any more turmoil in neighboring countries.