Topic: Protests in Syria
"If a crazy measure is taken against Damascus, I will need not more than 6 hours to transfer hundreds of rockets and missiles to the Golan Heights to fire them at Tel Aviv," Assad said© RIA Novosti. Sergei Guneev
MOSCOW, October 5 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia offers compromise on UN resolution against Syria
- Russia, China veto UN resolution on Syria
- Political confrontation has boiled-over in Syria, violence escalating
- Russia urges Syrian opposition to end violence
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has threatened to attack Israel in the event of any Western military intervention in his country's domestic affairs, Iran's semi-official Fars news agency reported.
"If a crazy measure is taken against Damascus, I will need not more than 6 hours to transfer hundreds of rockets and missiles to the Golan Heights to fire them at Tel Aviv," Assad said at a meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Tuesday.
The comments came after Russia and China had vetoed a UN Security Council resolution condemning Syria for its brutal crackdown on protesters.
Assad also vowed to call on the Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah for support.
"All these events will happen in three hours, but in the second three hours, Iran will attack U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf and American and European interests will be targeted simultaneously," he said.
More than 2,700 people are estimated to have been killed across Syria since protests against the Assad regime began in March.
Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin said Moscow vetoed the resolution - drafted by France with Britain, Germany and Portugal - because it was based on "the philosophy of confrontation."
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- wulfranoWorld War III11:37, 05/10/2011Things are getting real hot! If those stupid jews call in American or NATO troops into Syrian territory, all hell will break loose! Loose as in World War III!
- p2o2rianA Few Sober Questions13:54, 05/10/20111. Why the need to move the rockets closer to Israeli border exposing them on IAF attacks? Are there no tunnels?
2. Without efficient Anti Aircraft Systems the Syrian towns and army would be vulnerable to reprisal attacks.
3. Using in act of despair what Syria has at her disposal (hidden underground in one place) Israel would be coerced to use Jericho with nuclear warheads.That would be the end of Syria, and end of the world we know with Israel still digged in Palestine land.
P.S. I am not Israel's backer but I am not blind.
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.