BUENOS AIRES, September 22 (RIA Novosti)
Three children died and 88 were rushed to hospital after being accidentally poisoned with pesticides at a school canteen in the northern Peru region of Cajamarca, the RPP radio station said on Thursday.
According to preliminary information, the school lunch was cooked in a container which has not been properly washed and contained pesticide residue.
"Schoolchildren aged from six to 12 were accidentally poisoned in the village of Arredondo. They were hospitalized with stomach aches, vomiting, diarrhea and severe dehydration," the country's social development minister Aida Garcia Naranjo said.
"The products were of due quality, but the cook used a badly washed cooking pot, where pesticide residue was later discovered," she said.
Health officials fear there could be more deaths, as some of the children are in critical condition.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.