MOSCOW, July 25 (RIA Novosti)
- Pope calls to renounce hatred as Norway mourns twin attacks' victims
- Norwegian police release six suspects in Oslo bombing
- Death toll in Norway deadly bombing, shooting drops to 92 - police
- Norwegian mass killer posts manifesto, video before attacks - media
A Norwegian court remanded Anders Behring Breivik, the prime suspect in the twin terrorist attacks that killed over 90 people on Friday, for a further eight weeks custody at a hearing on Monday in Oslo.
Breivik is accused of being behind a car bombing in Oslo that killed seven people, and an attack on the Labor Party youth camp on the nearby island of Utoya which killed at least 86 people.
Breivik, who was arrested at the scene on Friday, appeared in court on Monday afternoon at a closed hearing on terrorism charges.
Breivik had originally requested that the hearing be open to the public and that he be allowed to wear a military uniform to the arraignment, his lawyer, Geir Lippestad, told local television media.
Police, however, submitted a request that the hearing be closed, fearing that the court would give Breivik a forum to further proclaim extremist views that had been published in a more than 1,500 page manifesto called 2083 - A European Declaration of Independence, expressing anti-Muslim and nationalist views that he had distributed online.
The manifesto called for a "conservative revolution" against multiculturalism, which he described in his writings as a "threat to Western civilization."
“It is clear that there is concrete information that a public hearing with the suspect present could quickly lead to an extraordinary and very difficult situation in terms of the investigation and security," the court said in a statement.
Breivik's lawyer said he has admitted to the killings, but he has not accepted criminal responsibility for them.
Breivik told police he had planned to attack former Norwegian prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, the local Aftenposten newspaper said on Monday.
Brundtland, Norway's prime pinister for the Labor Party for three terms between 1981 and 1996 and the head of World Health Organization between 1998 and 2003, left the island shortly before Breivik arrived, Aftenposten reported.
Breivik said he was planning to arrive at the island earlier, but was late for unspecified reasons, the newspaper said, quoting unidentified sources.
A stepbrother of Norway's Crown Princess Mette Marit, policeman Trond Berntsen, was one of the victims shot dead by the gunman, who fired at random during his attack, Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet said. The policeman, who was reported missing following the shooting, became one of the gunman's first victims when he tried to stop him, the paper said.
The suspected terrorist faces up to 21 years in prison if found guilty. The maximum prison term allowed under Norwegian law can be extended, however, if the individual is considered a threat to society.
Polish police arrested a man on Monday in connection with the twin terror attacks in Norway on July 22, the Norwegian daily Dagbladet reported, but Polish police sources later said the information was false..
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.