Rasmussen reiterated that the conflict in Libya needs a political resolution and Gaddafi must resign from his post.© REUTERS/ Sebastien Pirlet
ST. PETERSBURG, July 5 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia, NATO differ on Libya resolution - Lavrov
- NATO says Libya actions in line with Security Council resolution
- NATO-Russia Council discusses situation in Libya
- NATO may be preparing ground operation in Libya - Russian envoy
- Libya to prosecute NATO in international courts
- NATO set to continue Libya operation - Rasmussen
NATO wants the United Nations to play the leading role into Libya's transition to democracy once leader Muammar Gaddafi steps down, the military alliance's secretary general said on Tuesday.
Speaking at a news conference in St. Petersburg, Anders Fogh Rasmussen said NATO "would like the UN to head the efforts that will help the Libyan people during the transition to democracy."
He added that "there should be no security vacuum during this period and the process should be all-embracing."
Rasmussen reiterated that the conflict in Libya needs a political resolution and Gaddafi must resign from his post.
"It is clear that there cannot be a one and only possible military solution in Libya. A political solution is needed, of course," he said.
"Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's exit has no alternative. Gaddafi must step down and satisfy the people's legitimate aspirations."
Libya has been rocked by fighting between pro- and anti-government forces since mid-February. The international military operation began on March 19 following a UN resolution and was extended until late September.
UN Security Council Resolution 1970, passed in February, prohibited states from providing any kind of arms to Libya. Resolution 1973, passed a month later, authorized countries "to take all necessary measures" to help protect Libyan civilians.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- sagbotgamotDemocracy16:38, 05/07/2011Now i understand. NATO are bombing women and children in Libya because they want Libya to move to Democracy. Very similar to what the US did to Iraq and Afghanistan.
- avatar_singhsuch a hateful word democracy21:23, 05/07/2011the english bastards and dutch bastards and l=now this insingicant fly from denmark uses the word democracy to kill maim millions in iraqm afganstana nd libya. they ahve no shame. the only langauge nato knows is that of voilnce. let us give them violnce., let us kill all nato troops whereever they asre.
thse cowards are going to libya compang by bombing knowing that there is no effective antiaircraft weapon with gaddafi. thse coward have no guts to fight with equally armed people.