- Russia on U.S. missile plan: No Poland deployment
- U.S. missile defense in Europe 'real threat' to Russia - General Staff
- Missile defense cooperation best way to ease Russia's concerns - U.S. official
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defense at G8 summit
- Russia 'disappointed' by U.S. failure to provide missile guarantees
- Europe missile shield must be safe for Russia - Medvedev
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Thursday that it could take Russia and the United States until 2020 to reach agreement on a European missile shield, but the two sides must create the foundations for a deal now.
"This issue will be solved in the future, maybe in 2020, but we should lay the basis for the work of a future generation of politicians, we should create the right foundation," Medvedev told journalists after a meeting with after talks with U.S. President Barack Obama in France's Deauville ahead of a G8 summit.
Obama said U.S.-Russian cooperation in the missile defense sphere should be aimed at maintaining the strategic balance between the countries and correspond to both Russian and U.S. interests.
The Russian-U.S. presidential commission announced on Thursday that it has concluded its work on a report on missile threats.
Russia and NATO agreed to cooperate on the so-called European missile shield during the NATO-Russia Council summit in Lisbon in November 2010. NATO insists there should be two independent systems that exchange information, while Russia favors a joint system.
Russia is opposed to the planned deployment of U.S. missile defense systems near its borders, claiming they would be a security threat. NATO and the United States insist that the shield will defend NATO members against missiles from North Korea and Iran and would not be directed at Russia.
During a news conference with Russian and foreign journalists outside Moscow earlier this month, Medvedev warned that Russia would have to build up its nuclear capability if NATO and the United States failed to reach an agreement with Moscow on European missile defense.
He also reiterated that Russia may pull out of the New START disarmament agreement with the United States, which entered into force this year, in response to Washington's position on the defense system.
Russia has expressed concern over the United States' refusal to provide legally binding guarantees that its plans for a European missile defense system would not be directed against Russia.
During Thursday’s talks, Medvedev and Obama also discussed the situation in the Middle East and North Africa, as well as the Iranian nuclear issue.
Medvedev, Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy issued a joint statement on Thursday on the situation in Nagorny Karabakh, calling on the Armenian and Azerbaijani leaders to agree on the core issues of the conflict settlement by an upcoming EU-Russia summit in June.
A breakaway region on Azerbaijani territory with a predominantly ethnic Armenian population, Nagorny Karabakh has been a sticking point in the two countries’ relations since the late 1980s, when the region claimed independence from Azerbaijan to join Armenia. The conflict is estimated to have left more than 30,000 people dead on both sides between 1988 and 1994.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- p rajeshNOT LIMITED TO MISSILE DEFENCE17:52, 26/05/2011Sir, The existing reality is not to be limited to missile defence alone. it should be addressed to the unilateral political, economic, strategic groupings. Uni lateral control of innternational organisations, market manipulations attacking poor countries. The double standards adopted in dealing each international crisis and in a biased way doesnot solve the issues of trust by the west. Equal participation of all leading responsible nations to be ensured in the major dicisions of internationally affected issues must be ensured for effective cooperation and rebuilding of trust among superpower nations.
- email@example.comRussia must prepare for a 2020 - 2030 energy invasion18:27, 26/05/2011I would like to be optimistic about the US but I am not. Knowing the energy situation in the US, the US has full intention to use the European Missile Shield against Russia to disable its missile and military systems for the purpose of seizing control of the Caspian Basin oil and natural gas fields.
Why would I think this? The United States will not sign a legal document stating that they will not use the European Missile Shield against Russia. This in and of itself is a RED FLAG. If the US will not sign a document stating that they will not use the European Missile Shield against Russia then they plan to use it against Russia.
Why does the US & Europe not want to simply purchase Russia's oil & natural gas as a commodity. Generally the US would do this if it could sell Russia arms supplies like it does in the Middle East. However Russia has its own successful military industry. Money paid for Russian oil and natural gas would only make Russia stronger.
The world is now on the down slope of the Worldwide Peak Oil curve. Europe, the US and Canada are now facing a severe energy crisis by 2020 as all major oil reserves dry up. By 2030 with out new oil reserves the oil based civilization in Europe, the US and Canada will collapse along with banking, food production, and so forth.
So by 2020 Europe, the US and Canada will be forced to go to war against Russia to seize what is left of their oil and natural gas reserves. Remember that Russia's energy reserves are declining at 8% a year. To avoid transferring wealth to Russia the decision will be to go to war instead. These are my thoughts on the Missile Shield.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev must assume that the power centre in the US (not the President) is authorizing this action. Barack Obama is just a figure head. Therefore Russia must have a matching missile system in place to neutralize the threat. Russia MUST expect the US & Europe to attack between 2020 and 2030 for energy.
- avatar_singhand with such a pace russia will have been destroyed by 202005:18, 13/07/2011and emdvedev and yetlisn will habve contributed tot hat destruction .
why does russia have death wish/?real looser.
During the 11th Annual Meeting to be held in Sochi from October 22 to 24, experts of the Valdai International Discussion Club will focus on whether the global community will develop ground rules for the world politics or whether it will be a game without any rules where everyone fend for themselves.