Topic: Middle East settlement
- Middle East Quartet supports Obama's 1967 borders call
- Israel rejects Obama's 1967 border agreement call
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call
- U.S. future 'bound to Middle East' - Obama
Palestinian leaders have asked the Arab League to hold a special meeting to discuss U.S. President Barack Obama's latest speech on peace talks with Israel, local media reported on Sunday, referring to Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa.
The meeting of the Arab Peace Initiative will focus on Israel's rejection of the proposals raised by Obama, and also on the Arab response to the address, Moussa said on Saturday.
In a landmark speech at the State Department on Thursday, Obama said "the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states."
The U.S. president said he believed these steps could lead to the resumption of peace talks between Israel and Palestinians.
Direct talks between the Israelis and Palestinians, which resumed last September after a 20-month standoff, collapsed three weeks later when Israel refused to stop construction in the occupied West Bank.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, however, has rejected the U.S. president's call for an Israeli-Palestinian deal based on the borders drawn up in 1967.
In a blunt rebuke to Israel's closest ally, Netanyahu said Israel was prepared to make "generous compromises for peace" but could not go back to its 1967 borders.
After lengthy talks at the White House on Friday, a defiant Netanyahu said there could be no peace "based on illusions."
"[It] will crash eventually on the rocks of Middle Eastern reality," he said.
The old lines do not take into account the "demographic changes that have taken place over the last 44 years," he said.
An estimated 500,000 Israeli settlers live in the West Bank.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has welcomed Obama's proposal.
Washington's partners in the Quartet of the Middle East peace mediators - the European Union, UN and Russia - have given their backing to the plan.
GAZA, May 22 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- suhailIsrael must withdraw.17:39, 22/05/2011Those demographic changes that Israel has caused since 1967 are totally illegal.Israel called in Jews from other countries and then drove out the Palestinians from their homes to accommodate these Jews.So,Israel has to withdraw to its 1967 borders since the borders after 1967 are only a result of its illegal occupation of Arab land.Infact, the whole of Israel is an illegal occupation of the Arab land.
- bielecCriminal violation of international law18:26, 22/05/2011"The old lines do not take into account the demographic changes that have taken place over the last 44 years," Netanyahu said.
Fourth Geneva Convention of August 12, 1949:
Individual or mass forcible transfers, as well as deportations of protected persons from occupied territory to the territory of the Occupying Power or to that of any other country, occupied or not, are prohibited, regardless of their motive. - [Refugees]
The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies. - [Settlements]
UN General Assembly Resolution 181 of November 29, 1947, has clearly established two states - the Jewish State (Israel) and the Arab State (Palestine), and has precisely established their borders.
Unanimously adopted UN Security Council Resolution 242 of November 22, 1967 (Fragments):
Emphasizing the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war... a just and lasting peace in the Middle East ... should include the application of both the following principles:
(i) Withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict;
(ii) Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgment of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every State in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force.
Nothing to add, nothing to question. Israel has been deliberately following a policy of ethnic cleansing as well as building illegal settlements in the occupied Arab land and moving its civilian population into occupied territories in order to create facts on the ground and then use them to insist that they cannot withdraw to the 1967 border, which constitutes an illegal annexation of the territories occupied by means of war.
It is as if a thief told the judge, "I cannot return the stolen goods because they are now in my house and we have to take into account the ownership changes that took place over the last night."
International law should be the only basis for a just and honest solution. It should be enforced whether Israel likes it or not.
- bielecQuestion to RIA Novosti moderator(s)19:10, 22/05/2011Please, would it be possible to moderate our comments faster, so that they could appear before the article scrolls off the front page listing? What's the point of writing comments if nobody is going to read them? In most similat websites moderation takes up to a few minutes.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.