- TEPCO reports nuclear fuel meltdown at Fukushima No. 1
- Japanese Imperial couple to visit Fukushima province
- TEPCO detects dangerous radiation level at Fukushima No. 1 reactor
- Engineers continue monitoring radiation at Fukushima
- Damage levels at the Fukushima I nuclear power plant
- Radiation checks in Fukushima
- Situation near the troubled Fukushima I nuclear power plant
- Blast at Japan's Fukushima No.1 nuclear plant
- The Fukushima I nuclear power plant
- Reconstruction: Fukushima-1 Nuclear Power Plant accident, Japan
- Flying robots provide video from Fukushima power plant
- Footage released of inside Fukushima’s crippled nuclear power plant
The Japanese authorities have started evacuation of people who live outside the 20 kilometer radius from the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, NHK TV channel reported on Sunday.
Families with babies and children up to kindergarten age and pregnant women are the first of the 7,700 residents of two towns to evacuate, the TV channel said.
Municipal officials have said they have secured temporary housing for almost all of the residents who want it.
Some farmers cannot evacuate soon as they have not been able to find places to move their cattle. Some families cannot move together to designated temporary housing or cannot decide on the place to go as they would be far from work or school, the TV channel said.
The Japanese government has expanded the evacuation zone around the plant to areas where cumulative radiation levels are 20 millisieverts or higher per year, the TV channel said.
An earthquake and a tsunami that swept northeastern Japan two months ago damaged the cooling system at Fukushima, which resulted in serious meltdown. In mid-April, Japan's nuclear authorities assigned the highest level of danger to the Fukushima nuclear disaster for the first time after the devastating Chernobyl nuclear accident in the Soviet Union in 1986.
MOSCOW, May 15 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.